Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wingshooting near JHB

I've recently purchased a Baretta Silver Pigeon. Does anyone know any places for wingshooting near JHB? I'm hoping to find somewhere near Lanseria, Randfontien, Heidelberg etc (an hours drive +-) for guineas, francolin or Rockies. I have a GSP too.
    If you'd prefer not to post the details here feel free to message me.
    (I am aware the season is closed, except for Rockies, this will be for next year).

User

Default Re: Wingshooting near JHB

Hi Bud,I am an avid wingshooter and clay pigeon shooter. The best recommendation I can make is for you to join SA Wingshooters (see link: http://www.wingshooters.org.za/). They have a bunch of different hunts and venues each year, including a vast number of farms at which only SAW members can hunt.In addition, they have a heap of venues close to Jhb and Pta for rock pigeon (speckled pigeon) shooting when these birds are flocking and hammering the farmers' crops.Good luck!

Thanks, I've considered that but I've been told you get a bunch of cowboys going and that was from two people. I need to find someone that goes regularly for another opinion. Have you been on any wingshooter shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Hi Bud,I am an avid wingshooter and clay pigeon shooter. The best recommendation I can make is for you to join SA Wingshooters (see link: http://www.wingshooters.org.za/). They have a bunch of different hunts and venues each year, including a vast number of farms at which only SAW members can hunt.In addition, they have a heap of venues close to Jhb and Pta for rock pigeon (speckled pigeon) shooting when these birds are flocking and hammering the farmers' crops.Good luck!

User

You have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    Thanks, I've considered that but I've been told you get a bunch of cowboys going and that was from two people. I need to find someone that goes regularly for another opinion. Have you been on any wingshooter shoots?
    I haven't been on the charity shoots in Gauteng, however I am attending my 6th charity shoot in the Western Cape this weekend. I haven't encountered any cowbows, but rather made some good friends. Best bet would be to get 5 guns together and make your own group.

Most Charity shoots can be a bit of a dog show, I had a few bad experiences and decided to stop attending most of them some time ago. As above organise your own group, but most of all, meet people and be sociable, you'll get opportunities quite quickly. Most shooters are a social bunch.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M&P40 View Post
    Best bet would be to get 5 guns together and make your own group.
    If you're looking to put together a group, I'd be keen

User

Hi

With SAW there is always some good shooting around I've been member now for three years and have meet some great guys going to official shoots.

As in all sports you are going to get your cowboys I haven't personally encountered this with any of my SAW shooting days.

Regards
    Anthony

User

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    Yes, I have.

I have not come across any "cowboys" at SAW shoots, just law abiding, safe and ethical wingshooters.

I suspect that Andre (the CEO of SAW) would get rid of "cowboys" if they behaved in an unethical or dangerous manner... In addition, SAW does have an appointed and constituted disciplinary committee...

User

Hi 458Exp,

You still have contacts for wingshooting near JHB??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast