Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ruger 10-22 feeding & blowback issues

Hallo Folks,

I know at least three people in our area who are having (or had) trouble with their 10-22's.

It includes feeding and cycling issues. The bolt does not always close fully, or the extractor glides over the case rim and does not extract.

The other headache is gas blowback (correct term?). The shooters get powder gasses in their faces. The gas also blows into the rotary magazine.

The rifles seem sensitive for the type and brand of ammunition. Lapua works best but is expensive.

Any advice, except for regular cleaning?

User

Default Re: Ruger 10-22 feeding & blowback issues

Ds J I have Volquirtsen internals, find if I shoot HV I have blowback, not so much with SV. Can even shoot sub sonics without cycling issues. Most of the feeding issues are magazine related. Magazine does not fot properly. There are various Youtube video's to fix issues.

User

Marc05, which VQ internals?

User

Basically sear, firing pin, buffer, hold open device and mad release.

Banned

Feedback from one shooter: SK Match works flawless.

User

I would say all semi-outo 22's are somewhat finnicky. The 10/22 is one of the most forgiving of the lot.

What is vitally important in any semi-outo 22, is to keep the chamber clean and shiny. Any build-up of residue there will cause the issues you mentioned. I would even go and carefully polish the chamber. Barrel removal is easy as pie.

The extractor can also do with some help. I just deepened (very slightly) the extractor slot in the barrel, allowing it more "bite" on the case. Do this before polishing the chamber. Do not remove too much material.

2 sure ways to get any semi-outo 22 to gum up are:
    Using a supressor and
    Using wax-lubed ammo.

You can do both, but very frequent cleaning is required.

User

One of the best mods that I have done to mine is to drill the rear of the receiver so that you can get a cleaning rod in there, and scrub the chamber often.

i had a Hammerli 22lr target pistol vouple years back. If you want to see a finicky 22lr semi. That would be it. The slightest wax from bullet in the chamber. And it wont feed next round or extract.

Apparently the older shooters with Hammerli's use to take turpentine or something to remove all wax on 22lr before using to avoid issue.

I have found that Gecco 22lr ammo that I once bought at Rosenthal. Has no Wax on bullets. They worked great in Hammerli Before I sold it and bought Browning 22lr.

As mentioned above. Chamber must be clean as can be on most semi 22lr's. Also make sure the bolt is running free. And the tracks/rails it runs on are also clean and lubricated.

I have found Ballistol Guncer oil is brilliant to lubricate slides and moving parts. It contains Ceramic which aids under hi heat. Where normal oils will burn off.
    Never use sticky thick oils like Fluid film on semi 22's. These oils become tacky and hinders the moving parts.

User

Hi Ds J

take a look at this thread as well for some more wisdoms and info

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Cycling-issues

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vier View Post
    Hi Ds Jtake a look at this thread as well for some more wisdoms and infohttp://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...Cycling-issues
    I did and also referred the shooters to it. The new tread is because the blowback issue isn't covered in the older thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast