Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mora Knives

This is the axe the USFS guys issue and use...

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Survey/Fi..._Tools/8130-15
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    My dad has a Frosts fillet knife he uses for filleting fish. That is one serious good knife. I've been looking for Frosts knives for a long time for cutting meat. How exactly are Frosts and Mora connected? Anyhow, if Mora is anything as good as Frosts, you can't go wrong.

Khumba, I don't know how to break this to you easy, so I'll just spill the beans: your website sucks. I dunno if it's just me, but it is excruciatingly slow and if I see this message one more time: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, then I'm gonna need yet another new keyboard.

I would like to have 2 of those Clippers to start off with, but I'll just try again some other time. Make mine stainless. Maybe someday someone can take the time to explain to me what this whole carbon steel thing is all about.
    Yesss, Mora = Frosts: http://www.swedishknives.com/aboutus.htm

Sorry boet, your site still sucks (for me - YMMV). I managed to register and put 2 Clippers in the trolley, but checkout time it's back to: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. You don't have any other shipping options, like normal post? Besides being a royal pain, I'm also a cheapskate...

Anybody here know a good link to explain the ss vs. carbon steel issue?

"Anybody here know a good link to explain the ss vs. carbon steel issue?"

You can start here...

http://www.ragweedforge.com/kniv.html

Generally, carbon steel is easier to sharpen, can take a sharper edge and holds an edge longer, but the difference is slight if you compare really good examples of both types. Cheap SS knives have given Stainless a bad reputation with some but the good stuff works fine. As an old fart I tend to still prefer carbon steel but I can't really say it is all that much 'better'.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Ah, thanks Ikor!

My dad's fish fillet knife obviously needs to be ss. He sharpens it on a regular wet stone without any difficulties and it holds an edge better than most. Perhaps I will get even better results with the Spyderco Sharpmaker?

As for me, I'm still undecided. I live in the interior and even if it's exposed to water once in a while, I don't see it as a problem. I use a light coating of olive oil on my knives. There are probably better corrosion preventing solvents, but I'm not sure I want to use them around food preparation. On the other hand, I don't see it as a tactical knife, so there is no need for it to be 'scary' sharp. Stainless will probably do just as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Yesss, Mora = Frosts: http://www.swedishknives.com/aboutus.htm

Sorry boet, your site still sucks (for me - YMMV). I managed to register and put 2 Clippers in the trolley, but checkout time it's back to: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. You don't have any other shipping options, like normal post? Besides being a royal pain, I'm also a cheapskate...

Anybody here know a good link to explain the ss vs. carbon steel issue?
    OK send e-mail to cs@hailstormza.com, short explanation of connnection problem and request invoice to your e-mail address, do EFT, fax payment confirmation to 0866791712. Choose shipping or collection, RAM Couriers door to door R95 or Speed Services counter to counter uninsured R56.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    OK send e-mail to cs@hailstormza.com, short explanation of connnection problem and request invoice to your e-mail address, do EFT, fax payment confirmation to 0866791712. Choose shipping or collection, RAM Couriers door to door R95 or Speed Services counter to counter uninsured R56.
    Thanks man, I'll take you up on that.

User

Well yesterday morning Father Xmas (in the from of Ram Couriers) dropped of a package at my house just after 08h30. Ripped package open and there were the 2 Mora knives. Thanks Khumba!
    A real neat no frills knife, quite sharp. One going into my Nissan cubbyhole & other into my backpack.
    Will try them out on next weeks hunt and give feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2