Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mora Knives of Sweden

The story behind the Swedish well known knives of Mora.

The life was very poor for the farmers in the area of Mora during the 18th century. You will find the town Mora in the centre of Sweden in the middle of vast forests. The farmers during the 18th century had to find themselves complementary ways of living. It was during those circumstances that Erik Frost Eriksson started to produce knives. Later on he started in his factory 1891 to produce what we today know as the knife from Mora or Mora knife. The factory is still remaining in a small village called Ostnor. His company made a lot of different utilities from steel in the beginning, like tools for the forest like an ordinary blacksmith.

Around 1900 the knife had been so popular that the production of it became the main article. The steel in the old “original” knives came from Vikmanshyttan and some other Swedish steel producers. The grip was made out of birch which came from Småland some 400 km south by Mora. The scabbard was made of millboard which was decorated in different patterns. The scabbard were made in Tidaholm, which you will find some 360 km south by Mora.

Once upon a time there were lots of producers who copied the knife of Erik Frost. Some of these where companies were Krang Johan Eriksson (KJ Eriksson), the brothers Jonsson, F.M. Matsson (FMM) and Bud Carl Andersson. (CA Mora). These companies, although they were making competition to each others, also supported and helped each others. They were all situated within a small area close to the town Mora. They disappeared one by one and now Mora of Sweden is the only remaining company.

Today Mora of Sweden produces some 250 different models in Ostnor. Today the steel is stamped out of the steel from Sandvik 12C27, which is the same steel like KaBar used in their “Next Generation Fighting Knife”. The grip is normally made from plastic like the scabbard, but still you can buy from them the old style carbon steel knives with red wooden handles.

You will find them here: http://www.moraofsweden.com/index.php?id=18

See here about availability and reviews on Mora Knives Mora Knives - GunSite South Africa™ - South Africa’s Firearm, Tactical & Hunting Discussion Forums.

User

I bought two Mora's in December while in Norway. What fantastic knives they are for the outdoor enthusiast! I got one in carbon steel for R50 and another in 12c27 for R70....what a bargain.
    The ergo's are great for real hard work and the scandi grind leaves some of my R1000-R2000 knives looking rather average. The heat treat is great and I find the edge retention way above many other mass produced knives.
    I'd recommend anyone to try them out. Only downside are the crappy sheaths.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick5571 View Post
    I bought two Mora's in December while in Norway. What fantastic knives they are for the outdoor enthusiast! I got one in carbon steel for R50 and another in 12c27 for R70....what a bargain.
    The ergo's are great for real hard work and the scandi grind leaves some of my R1000-R2000 knives looking rather average. The heat treat is great and I find the edge retention way above many other mass produced knives.
    I'd recommend anyone to try them out. Only downside are the crappy sheaths.
    Contact our own Geoff Carter here on the forums. With your blade as a sample he can make you a top tier kydex sheath!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

As a Swede, I have used these knives since I was a small boy (my first knife was one of the discribed birch handel carbon steel knives. Today I use those green knifes shown in the video in the link (because the come in a combo with Bachos folding saw, which is a much better product for R150). The Mora is a great knife for the indented use, wich is a to use it until it is blunt or breakes and then buy a new one (this is why they are available in bulk packages). The carbon steel models are great to sharpen, but the steinless versions not even worth trying. I do not trust for a second that these knifes are made out of any type of fancy steel. I have a Buck knife for the fine tunings, but when it comes to cutting wood for the fire, opening tins and cut ropes, I would't use anything more expensive than the Mora, and never goes on a hunt without one. The Swedish army is issued with the steinless version, but I swappad my army knife for a 30 cm carbon version which was much more useful (back then I always had a mini Gerber for small work). I cannot count the number of Moras that have snapped while working, so buy many, but on the other hand, I have never seen a user of a Mora who has hesitated to put his knife into hard work out of worry for damage to the blade.

By the way - NEVER waste money on a new scabbard for a Mora, the original plastic scabbar will outlast your knife by a hundred years.

User

I got 2 from Khumba. Felt the blade with my fingertip, didnt seem all that sharp, untill I tried it on my forearm.. now I have one hairy arm and one bald one.
    Will be field testing them this week whilst on a hunt, will see how they cut through fur.

User

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMange View Post
    The carbon steel models are great to sharpen, but the stainless versions not even worth trying. I do not trust for a second that these knifes are made out of any type of fancy steel.
    The Stainless Steel Clipper is the Swedish army issue knife AFAIK and I doubt that they would have it as issue if it was not good enough.

The Stainless Steel that Mora uses is Swedish Sandvik 12C27 which has a good reputation for durability, ease of sharpening edge holding and low maintenance needs.

As I said, it is a great knife for the intended use. The Swedish army doesn't use it as a combat knife, but as a camping knife and for that it is great. For those who needs a knife for hard work that would spoil their regular hunting knife, I would recommend the Mora2000. I myself would never head for the woods without my Mora. After all. I have owned at least one mora knife without interuption for the last 30 years. I cannot recall any other make of any product that I have been that loyal to.

One should just not exchange one's Cold Steel for a Mora. If you want Swedish steel in your high quality knife you should contact this company.

http://www.fallkniven.com/en

User

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMange View Post
    As I said, it is a great knife for the intended use. The Swedish army doesn't use it as a combat knife, but as a camping knife and for that it is great. For those who needs a knife for hard work that would spoil their regular hunting knife, I would recommend the Mora2000. I myself would never head for the woods without my Mora. After all. I have owned at least one mora knife without interruption for the last 30 years. I cannot recall any other make of any product that I have been that loyal to.

One should just not exchange one's Cold Steel for a Mora. If you want Swedish steel in your high quality knife you should contact this company.

http://www.fallkniven.com/en
    Agreed. The Mora is not a combat knife or pry bar. It is a very affordable beater that one does not need to cry about if lost.

The Mora is a very capable camp knife, skinning knife, that is easy to sharpen and accepts a keen edge. They have nice geometry and cuts like crazy when sharp.

Interesting what you say about the Outdoor2000 = it has the same blade grind as the Bushcraft Forest and I have read a review somewhere from a survival trainer that said the Bushcraft Forest may be seen as the upgrade of the very capable Clipper.

Khumba,

if you are importing Moras into SA, you shoul look at getting this combo package on the market. The hard SA wood needs a saw, and this saw is the best product available at no cost at all. The Swedish crown is about 1 to 1 with the Rand. This packege has been bought with enourmous joy by some of the most snobby hunters I know.

http://www.jula.se/sag-och-kniv-134630

User

UltraMange,

thanks for the heads up - well well definitely do that. We are the dealer for Mora here in SA.

WE will get the combo, some axes as well and some Carbon steel knives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast