Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bow hunting, worth starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    On point 3.... NEW equipment is expensive. If you're not worried about buying the latest and greatest, used bows don't hold much value and you can pick up something 2 or 3 years old for a very good price.

On point 2... I disagree with you on "generally". As with rifle hunting, shot placement is key. I've seen far "uglier" kills with rifles than I've ever seen with a bow.
    On point 3: Agreed, took a huge loss on the sale of my equipment.
    On Point 2: Purely a subjective comment based on what I have seen and experienced. Not intended to defame bow hunting in general.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    On point 2... I disagree with you on "generally". As with rifle hunting, shot placement is key. I've seen far "uglier" kills with rifles than I've ever seen with a bow.
    I would stick out my head and say that bow hunters are generally better prepared for a hunt. You just can't pick up your bow for a once a year hunt and go hunting. Yet, some rifle "hunters" think that's how it's done...

Coming from a rifle and handgun hunter.

User

Bowhunter,
    +1 from me

point 3 .... it can be bloody but not as a rule
    I've shot a couple (bloody or not) where the animal only running 20m , stopping, not comprehending what happend, and expiring a minute or 2 later on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

Been through this myself.
    1.) Hides do have their place, but can often get boring real quick. More so when theres not much activity.
    2.) The risk of wounding is higher. I saw what happens when the bow is torqued and your form suffers, and that broadhead goes a bit off track. Unlike a decent rifle bullet, not all arrow setups can punch through a shoulder bone as an example. Every farmer i have spoken to did mention higher wounding rates with bows, though the person pulling the bow is often to blame.
    3.) It needs more time. Sitting 2 days in a hide with only animals out of your price range can get frustrating and expensive..
    4.) Needs more dedication and a lot more practise. My 12 year old niece shoots a 308 with no problems. She struggles pulling above 42lb ..
    I got more satisfaction with a hard earned successful stalk with a rifle than shooting from the hide..

User

Daniel, for me, most of what you said holds truth

To get back to the original question... it seems we all agree that if you plan on being dedidicated to the bow hunting discipline, that it is indeed worth the afford although it is difficult to fully compare to rifle hunting, on an equal plane
    just my 2 cents

User

W & S with a bow is the ultimate hunting experience, except maybe hunting with a spear. Never sit in a hide and never will, for me it feels like cheating. If you have shoot rifle before the transition is mostly easy. One advantage with a bow you can practice anytime with little effort and cost. 6 arrows will cost you about R 600, but Ive been using those 6 arrows for 3 years and shoot almost everyday about 30 shots except when the weather is bad.

If you are interested go and shoot some bows before you buy, get a cheap,2nd hand bow to see if archery is for you. That way you wont waste your money. When your equipment holds you back from performing then you can think about upgrading to a new bow

I love bow hunting it huge fun. But before you dive in and buy one there are shopes that let you shoot demos that will give you an idea if you like it. But with a bow setup is not just dailing in the scope and using the ammo that you always use. With the bow you have to tune it till every mesurement is with in spec. Then you start with paper tuning your arrows and the list goes on but sneaking up close to your prey that you can almost touch it. I have not gotten a rush like that

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

User

Poor economic times calls for time management.

If you know you have to bag meat, take the rifle and the bow.
    Use the rifle and shoot something for the pot, meaning make sure the meat targets are met.

Now if there is time left you can hunt with the bow as much as you like, you do not have the pressure of worrying about a kill, you enjoy more, hunt more relaxed, and have more time to read the trails and signs. If you fail nothing is lost, you just learn from your failures.

Etc, just a thought

User

Messor that type of hunt is the ultimate for me.
    Just a pity there is not a lot of farms that cater for both. On (rifle) farms where suppressor are not compulsory, bow hunting is pretty hard and takes real skill as well as a bit of luck

User

..... add a shotgun so you can take a couple of ducks or geese on the last day, with a cooler box as a seat and I'm in hunting heaven

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast