Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: More about IPSC (A FAQ thread)

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAction View Post
    As for scoring comming from Sadpa, an important note: shoot throughs don't count. So hitting a no shoot would mean a mike and the penalty.

@Psychosis, thank you.

Any estimates on current club fees, ngpsa fees and national association fees?
    Unless your shot cuts the 'outter' zone perforations... then you score the no shoot penalty and the target shot with no mike.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    How are the matches shot?

Someone has told me that each stage is shot 2x. Which score is used?

how does the shoot off in Appendix 3 work? what is the reason

I have briefly read the rules, I did not note a limit on the number of the mags, have I missed it?
    What they probably meant was that every target is shot twice (except steel of course) and both shots are scored, if more than 2 shots on target the best 2 are scored. You're shooting against time though so you wouldn't want to "fill in" unnecessarily.

Not sure about shoot offs, for two competitors to get the exact same hit factor is quite unlikely.

No limit on the amount of magazines. Maximum rounds required per stage is 32 (if you don't miss anything), so you wouldn't normally need more than 4 unless you shoot Classic.

Is there a weight limit for guns in the Classic division?

I can't see anything in the rules.

User

No weight lomits anywhere in IPSC... except for the 5lb min DA trigger pull in Production.

User

And the odd minimum bullet weights for certain division's for major.

User

What are the differences between major and minor?

User

Shooting scores ... and power factor minimums.

Basically it makes it worth it to shoot a .40 over a 9mm in standard division.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by :Struis: View Post
    What are the differences between major and minor?
    See page 59 and on here: http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf

All calibers are scored minor in Production.

Classic, Standard and Open have minimum calibers allowed to score Major and different power factors required for Minor and Major.

Major scores higher for Charlie and Delta hits than a Minor caliber does.

User

Let us look at a practical real world difference between Major and Minor.

Major has a higher Power Factor requirement than Minor (170 vs 125, for Standard and Classic. Major in Open is 160). This results in more recoil... which in turn results in longer split times (follow-up shots are slower)... which theoretically affects your time (remember, time is a large part of the scoring). So your stage times with a minor gun should be quicker then based on that logic. It is often true.

To compensate for this, Major is awarded more points for the off-alpha zones, as madhatter stated above.

What ACTUALLY happens in practice though, is that YOU shooting a major gun will beat YOU shooting a minor gun by 8 to 10%. Sounds counter-intuitive, but that is precisely what happens.

Guys shooting minor guns against guys shooting major guns either lose points (shooting score) because of being a bit loose with the shooting (off-alpha hits) because they want to run the stage quickly, or they have tad slower stage times because they have to take that extra split second to make 100% sure of an Alpha hit. That loss in score, or time, results in that 8 to 10% difference.

The shooting styles between Major and Minor are therefore different, IMO. (Having shot both Major and Minor PF in standard, I speak from a little experience). The major guys can push it a touch harder for time, and can therefore afford the odd Charlie here and there. Minor guys doing the same lose out on score, since a Charlie for them (or god forbid, a Delta) is quite a few points gone.

There are obviously always exceptions. There are minor guys who are blisteringly quick, and accurate as hell...

User

The ouch of shooting a D: the Major calibre shot, gets double the score of a Minor. (2 vs 1 point)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast