Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Musgrave identification

Hi guys.

Any Musgrave fundis out there can help identify a musgrave 243 for me. It has controlled round feed, not the normal Mauser flag safety but a slide safety on the right. The serial number starts R- *****.

Interested in it but the trigger needs work. If you engage the safety and pull the trigger then disengage the safety the trigger gets set off.

Anyhow I would just like to know the model and possibly from there see how it goes.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Musgrave identification

I have the same model.
    If you google it, any model that's serial number starts with an R, is a Mark III or IV if I recall correctly.

It has the Santa Barbara K98 action.
    Thick barrel, lots of wood, heavy as hell, but very accurate!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

There is a gentleman on jaracal.com who was a former Musgrave employee. He might be able to answer your question.

I am taking a guess that you have a 243 on a Santa Barbara Spanish action which is a Mauser 98 clone.

Thanks.

@ Mylani- def no thick barrel and relatively light like a standard hunting rifle. Looks simmiliar to other santa barbra actions I have seen. Think is I can get it for a case of cold ones and it has probably not shot a box of ammo out of it. Problem is I already have a parker hale 243 so contemplating giving it or my PH to a mate and keeping the other.

Banned

Parker Hale also used the Sata Barbara action. I have to defend Musgraves barrels as being good quality.

Driepootx yeh I remember seeing PH santa actions now that you mention it. Mine is a Safari deluxe in a M98 longh action with the flag safety though. Have always wanted a musgrave for sentimental reasons but have never cottoned to them. Dunno why as have used a couple and they as good as it gets. Will see if I can the trigger sorted and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the help.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryhunter View Post
    Hi guys.

Any Musgrave fundis out there can help identify a musgrave 243 for me. It has controlled round feed, not the normal Mauser flag safety but a slide safety on the right. The serial number starts R- *****.

Interested in it but the trigger needs work. If you engage the safety and pull the trigger then disengage the safety the trigger gets set off.

Anyhow I would just like to know the model and possibly from there see how it goes.

Thanks
    I have a rifle which was built using the action and stock of a 243 rifle built by Musgrave. The description and slide safety sounds very similar. I understood from the original owner that it is an FN action. The action and stock now sports a Ruger 30-06 barrel.

Interesting that I experienced the same safety issue. Gunsmith checked it out and sorted it out quickly. It looked like the action was flexing when being tightened up - only when tightened did this happen. Some wood was removed where the action was in contact with the stock.

to resurrect this thread. I've just purchased this musgrave 243 also with a serial number starting with R. I don't have more photos yet but hopefully I'll post a few
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Looks like a Santa Barbara action to me. Pity there isnt a photo of the left side of the action

User

judging by the style of the safety and the lack of thumb cutout on the left side of the action I'm also calling it a Santa Barbara

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast