Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa Owners

User

Default Re: Howa Owners

Thank you for the replies so far. I hope we can get some more people to chip in

User

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    My Howa 308 with thumbhole in laminated stock BB is my go to rifle when it comes to any hunting. I get sub MOA accuracy constantly and I've taken headshots with 180gr bullets up to 250m (obviously compensated for the shot at that distance) with out an issue. My father has a SS barrel in 308 with Hogue stock and we continue to get great results with that one too. Currently loaded up with 155gr A Max and again sub MOA groups even tho with the twist its better to go with a 168gr or heavier. For the amount you pay, you can afford a quality optic and you get accuracy, durability and fun, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I have just bought a Howa BB 300 WM now for R8500. Here's a hunting video on YouTube of mine:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Can you please expand on the barrel lengths, barrel profiles and scope info for both your and your fathers Howa?

Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Calibre:.243
    Barrel Length: 24"
    Barrel Profile: Heavy (Varmint)
    Stock Make: Howa
    Stock Material: Laminated wood(Eurovarminter)
    Scope Brand: Sightron
    Scope Model: S3 6-24*50 FFP

Primary Application: Hunting/ "Veldskiet"
    Best Accuracy Achieved: .4MOA at 100m
    Are you happy with your Howa: Yes
    Comments:
    Decent out of the box, bedded action and polished trigger(pre-HACT) only improvements I have made. Added new BM to accept AI type magazine specifically to make loading easier for "veldskiet"

Calibre:.243 Ackley Improved
    Barrel Profile: Heavy (Varmint)
    Stock Make: Boyds Pro-Varmint
    Stock Material: Laminate
    Scope Brand: Burris
    Scope Model:
    XTR II 5-25*50
    Primary Application: Hunting/ "Veldskiet"
    Best Accuracy Achieved: .5 MOA at 200m
    Comments: Replaced Hogue stock with Boyds laminated stock, bedded action, polished trigger and added larger pin to eliminate long 1st stage on the HACT trigger, new BM to accept AI mags specifically for "veldskiet"

Calibre: .300 Win MagBarrel Length: 24
    Barrel Profile: Heavy ( Varmint)
    Stock Make: Custom/ Hogue
    Stock Material: Lamiate / Synthetic
    Scope Brand: Vortex
    Scope Model:
    PST 6-24*50
    Primary Application: Target shooting /Hunting
    Best Accuracy Achieved: .4 MOA at 100m
    Comments: Replaced Hogue with custom laminated stock for prone shooting. Still use Hogue stock when hunting. Bedded action and polished trigger, larger pin to eliminate long 1st stage on HACT trigger.

All three my Howas will shoot 1MOA or better at 100m, almost regardless of the ammo as long as I do my bit.
    Personally I don't like the flex in the Hogue stocks, but a steel rod and some epoxy sorts this out easily enough.
    Triggers are decent as is, but small amount of polishing makes them even better. I prefer short/no 1st stage on a trigger, easy enough to sort that on the HACT trigger.
    Lightly sanding the bolt makes the action almost as smooth as a Tikka.
    3 Howa's? I guess it is safe to assume your are very happy :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    3 Howa's? I guess it is safe to assume your are very happy :-)
    Very happy! Personally, I don't think there is a better value for money rifle available.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Triggers are decent as is, but small amount of polishing makes them even better. I prefer short/no 1st stage on a trigger, easy enough to sort that on the HACT trigger.
    I forgot to add, I see that Gun Africa opted to spend R500 to get Jonker Gunsmith to polish the trigger of their budget long range Howa, instead of dropping cash on a new Timney (or similar). This seems to be a decent option to improve the trigger without spending a large amount.

User

I have 2...
    Calibre: 338WM
    Barrel Length: 24" Stainless Steel
    Barrel Profile: Hunter (standard)
    Stock Make: Boyds Thumbhole Varminter
    Stock Material: Laminate
    Scope Brand: Leupoldt
    Scope Model: VX1 4-12x40 Duplex
    Primary Application: Hunting
    Best Accuracy Achieved: 0.5MOA @ 100m with Norma Brass, Hornady SST 225gr bullets
    Are you happy with your Howa: (Yes/No) Hell YES!
    Comments: Wonderfull calibre, and a very nicely balanced rifle. Struggled with groups until I bedded the stock. This rifle has the 2 position safety type trigger, which I set down to as light as I dare to go. Still slightly heavy, but breaks beautifully crisp every shot! done about 650 rounds so far.

Calibre: 6.5x55SE
    Barrel Profile: Hunter (Standard)
    Stock Make: Howa Hogue
    Stock Material: Synthetic
    Scope Brand: Nikon
    Scope Model: Monarch 3 4-16x42 MilDot
    Primary Application: Hunting and Long Range Target Shooting
    Best Accuracy Achieved: 0.5MOA @ 100m and 1MOA @ 200m
    Are you happy with your Howa: Yes! Yes! YES!
    Comments: The rifle has the 3 stage safety trigger. The hogue stock is notoriously flexy, so my stock has 2 threaded rods epoxied into the foregrip of the stock. Action was epoxy bedded, and pillars added. both action and barrel is painted in satin black GunCote (similar to Ceracoat). My 13 and 16 year old girls hit 10cm gongs @ 200m without effort using this rifle. best accuracy so far achieved with WW brass and Nosler CustomComp 140gr bullets

My next rifle will be a .308, and it will also be a Howa. I will get a stainless steel varmint barreled action, and mount it on a chassis as a dedicated Long Range rifle

User

Calibre: 30-06
    Barrel Length: 22
    Barrel Profile: Standard
    Stock Make: Howa
    Stock Material: Synthetic
    Scope Brand: Vixen
    Scope Model: 4-16 x 44
    Primary Application: Hunting & Target Shooting
    Best Accuracy Achieved: 0.177 MOA at 100m
    Comments: Had to clear the stock and then bed it for accuracy. Also had the trigger sear polished, new crown cut and suppressor fitted. All of this was about R2500 and it shoots like a dream.

Can you please expand on the barrel lengths, barrel profiles and scope info for both your and your fathers Howa?

Thanks
    On mine I believe it's the 24 inch heavy barrel. I'm using a vortex diamandback 4-12x40. On his one it's the stainless steel barrel Hogue stock with a Nikon monarch 3 scope 4-16x40. I've noticed with both of them being 1/10 twist that heavier projectiles do group better as expected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I forgot to add, I see that Gun Africa opted to spend R500 to get Jonker Gunsmith to polish the trigger of their budget long range Howa, instead of dropping cash on a new Timney (or similar). This seems to be a decent option to improve the trigger without spending a large amount.
    Its easy to do and takes care of the slightly gritty feeling that the triggers might have.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

I'd buy a mini action in 223 or 204ruger if it came with a floor plate, but alas only detachable mag, and no news of a floor plate in future :(

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast