Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa Owners

User

Default Re: Howa Owners

22-250, 30-06 x2 and 338win mag. All standard hogue stocked versions ( 338 is 24 inch) all shoot half MOA with reloads. Scopes are Leupolds and Nikons.

All are used for hunting. 30-06's mileages are about 4-5k each, the other 2 have put about half that down range.

Comments. I like them....a lot. They are treated like my No 13 spanners. When they eventually wear out il replace them with another that will most probably serve me just as well. All my hardware is interchangeable too which i like.

User

I have them Howa's.

3 to be correct.
    Forum users here have seen the results, not much to say.

But something to be noted, with my heavy barrel 308 I have shot a grouping less than 1 inch at 500m.
    Not sure if anything else needs to be said of 308 Howa's more than that.

User

Messor, 3? I know about the 308 and the 338. Is the 270 also a Howa?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I have them Howa's.

3 to be correct.

But something to be noted, with my heavy barrel 308 I have shot a grouping less than 1 inch at 500m.
    3? I am falling behind. Are all of them still wearing Hogue stocks? I see a lot of complaints about the Hogue's on the internets. My 6.5x55 does just fine with the standard stock, although it has never shot a 1" group at 500m.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    On mine I believe it's the 24 inch heavy barrel. I'm using a vortex diamandback 4-12x40. On his one it's the stainless steel barrel Hogue stock with a Nikon monarch 3 scope 4-16x40. I've noticed with both of them being 1/10 twist that heavier projectiles do group better as expected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Is that the 22" or 24" and is it the standard or heavy barrel?

Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    22-250, 30-06 x2 and 338win mag. All standard hogue stocked versions ( 338 is 24 inch) all shoot half MOA with reloads. Scopes are Leupolds and Nikons.

All are used for hunting. 30-06's mileages are about 4-5k each, the other 2 have put about half that down range.

Comments. I like them....a lot. They are treated like my No 13 spanners. When they eventually wear out il replace them with another that will most probably serve me just as well. All my hardware is interchangeable too which i like.
    Just to confirm, does your 22-250 and both your 30-06 have the 24" barrels?

If possible, can you expand on specific scope models? Or at least the number of Leupolds vs Nikons?

Thanks

User

I have them Howa's.

3 to be correct.

Hi Messor

Can you please provide some additional information?

You mention the .308 heavy barrel. What is the barrel length, stock and scope of this setup?

What calibres, barrels, scopes are the other two Howa's? Do you also achieve sub-MOA on these two?

From previous posts, I assume you use all of them for hunting. Is this correct?

Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Messor, 3? I know about the 308 and the 338. Is the 270 also a Howa?
    Yep, next will be a 223 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    3? I am falling behind. Are all of them still wearing Hogue stocks? I see a lot of complaints about the Hogue's on the internets.
    I rarely shoot without the silencer, it dampens the barrel vibrations meaning the stock flex is less of a problem.
    Also, over the front pillar bedding, I made thin square metal plates with holes just as big as the aluminium pillar.
    It raises the barrel ever so slightly away from the stock, solving all issues without complicated rods and stuff, boere-plan :)

Anyways, my rifles ain't toys, the stocks are badly scratched from hunting the thickets, no use in putting something shiny on there just to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My 6.5x55 does just fine with the standard stock, although it has never shot a 1" group at 500m.
    Sorry that was a typo, my goal was to shoot a 100m MOA at 500m, and that aint 1 inch, I mean we always talk about moa as an inch, but it's 29mm of course.
    I reckoned if the rifle can do 2mm at 100m it should easily achieve that, but it was of course a lot harder since seeing the target is a lot more difficult, and the weather must be perfect, and the standard deviation must be minuscule, etc etc.

Still not too shabby for a cheap old oriental.

User

Also, over the front pillar bedding, I made thin square metal plates with holes just as big as the aluminium pillar.
    It raises the barrel ever so slightly away from the stock, solving all issues without complicated rods and stuff, boere-plan :)
    Hi, Please could you more details of this mod. Metal thickness and material, maybe a picture as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    Hi Messor

Can you please provide some additional information?

You mention the .308 heavy barrel. What is the barrel length, stock and scope of this setup?

What calibres, barrels, scopes are the other two Howa's? Do you also achieve sub-MOA on these two?

From previous posts, I assume you use all of them for hunting. Is this correct?

Thanks
    270- sporter -22"
    308 - heavy barrel 24"
    338 - sporter 24"

Scopes I mix and match between hunting and target shooting, meaning I swop stuff out to suit the specific task at that time.
    Only the 338 currently wear picatinny rails, but the 308 will follow soon enough.

They are all quarter MOA but of course the recoil profile on the 338 means you wont easily achieve that without the suppressor fitted.

I hunt with all but the 308 I bought for practice mainly, purely because of the cheap components and long barrel life.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast