Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cape Union Mart

Default Cape Union Mart

Hey guys. this is my first post and was wondering what do you think about cape union mart. i recently went to the branch in gateway, durban and saw some decent deals like the kershaw wildcat ridge 3140 for R450

But their website is totally outdated and doesnt show any of their new stock.

I still think their pricing is totally screwed up though. Why is it that they sell a 40 dollar knife(kershaw3140) for R450 and sell a 30 dollar knife(spyderco tenacious) for R750. Plus they had some of their own branded knives. the one which caught my eye was the the cape union tempest pocket knife. It looked decent. it had quite thick steel liners and 7cr17Mov steel blade and G10 handle scales.

They also carry a few Cold steel, byrd, buck, kershaw, crkt knives, etc.

Also do you guys know of any blade shops in durban selling quality brands(Cold Steel, spyderco etc.) because i normally order from knifeworks.com but would like to buy locally. I have heard of blades and bows in game city and yale security stores.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheripper View Post
    Hey guys. this is my first post and was wondering what do you think about cape union mart. i recently went to the branch in gateway, durban and saw some decent deals like the kershaw wildcat ridge 3140 for R450

But their website is totally outdated and doesnt show any of their new stock.

I still think their pricing is totally screwed up though. Why is it that they sell a 40 dollar knife(kershaw3140) for R450 and sell a 30 dollar knife(spyderco tenacious) for R750. Plus they had some of their own branded knives. the one which caught my eye was the the cape union tempest pocket knife. It looked decent. it had quite thick steel liners and 7cr17Mov steel blade and G10 handle scales.

They also carry a few Cold steel, byrd, buck, kershaw, crkt knives, etc.

Also do you guys know of any blade shops in durban selling quality brands(Cold Steel, spyderco etc.) because i normally order from knifeworks.com but would like to buy locally. I have heard of blades and bows in game city and yale security stores.
    from other post in the forum, it seems that Cape Union has an anti-firearm mentality, so most of the guys here avoid doing business with them.

google sharp edge sharp shooter. they have have a on-line ordering facility and they stock a wide variety of respectable brands.

thanks but sharpedge is also ridiculously over-priced. if i was going to order on line i would use an american site which i can get amazing deals from. Eg. sharpedge charges R1610 for a CS rajah ii but i can get it for 90usd which is R685(+R200 for shipping) it still works out much cheaper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheripper View Post
    thanks but sharpedge is also ridiculously over-priced. if i was going to order on line i would use an american site which i can get amazing deals from. Eg. sharpedge charges R1610 for a CS rajah ii but i can get it for 90usd which is R685(+R200 for shipping) it still works out much cheaper.
    then keep on ordering from the states. Unfortunately the guys in SA are more expensive when you do pure Dollar to Rand conversion. However, if you take the Dollar price and add taxes and business expenses - the price goes up dramatically. Then the guys still have to make a profit.

The other option will be to contact a couple of the local custom knife makers and have them make you what you want. Harm and T.A.C on the forum come highly recommended. again, it will be expensive, because it is a custom product.

good luck mate.

Thanks for the insightful input guys

Anybody been to blades and bows in game city or yale security shop in pavillion??

User

Default C.U.M. Knives

I buy my socks at Cape Union Mart. They last a long time... these socks are made for walking (and for standing in front of a workbench for hours on end)

As to their knives, I just look, shake my head and walk away.

User

Jack, if you already have a knife in mind, it may be worth your while to ask Mil Sec for a price as well. I've bought CRKTs from them at a reasonable price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    from other post in the forum, it seems that Cape Union has an anti-firearm mentality, so most of the guys here avoid doing business with them.
    Despite asking in that thread for justification as to WHY Cape Union is seen as anti-gun, nothing has been forthcoming. I'm happy to spend my money there until the poster justifies why they are anti-gun

User

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    Despite asking in that thread for justification as to WHY Cape Union is seen as anti-gun, nothing has been forthcoming. I'm happy to spend my money there until the poster justifies why they are anti-gun
    Didn't know that. My humblest apologies to Cape Union Mart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast