Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300gr Sierra Game King for Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Tstone..when battling for ammo over a good many years,thousands of buffalo were culled by the Rhodesian game department using 3006's and 220 gr solids.Same can be said for FN's with 143gr fmj's. Was interesting times.
    Sure. The thing is, the people doing the culling were experienced buffalo hunters and even then, not all of them walked away unscathed.

User

True words

User

pre 64, in theory, would you hunt a buffalo with a 338LM? Specifically using 285gn Barnes TTSX traveling at 2800fps?

User

pblaauw......no i would not.[i would have to think a bit about that velocity...but you are asking my opinion]

But yes,i would use the 285gr TTSX but at 2600fps with great confidence.

Buffalo are generally shot from close up and an impact velocity lower than 2800 would,i believe,be all that is required.

I also have no doubt that the 338WM with the heavy for caliber bullets would also be as effective as the .375.

Obviously legalities may not enable this to happen.

If you pay and messor makes his 338 available to me i will gladly take one for the team and go do a practical test for you.

User

Pls may I back you up on this test. I'll bring my 458 Express and decent bullets. ;-)

User

It will up the price a bit for plaauw,but you are welcome.

Maybe organise you a buff as well......we would of course need to do a comparison between the 338 and the 458 Express to come up with a meaningfull result.

User

Not a buffalo but at least one of the big 5,
    My father hunted a Male Lion with my .375 using Sierra Game Kings 300gr 25.5" barrel with 2650fps.
    The first shot at 28 meters made the lion jump in the air the second shot much closer on 16 meters for insurance.
    Both bullets performed great and the combination worked well, both bullets retained 88% plus in weight.

Would I use this combo on buffalo? If I have a choice no, It will work but your shot placement should be 100% not hitting any shoulder bone.

User

pre 64, I'm asking as a friend has a 338LM (not 338WM mind you), and he is going buffalo hunting this week with it using that exact load. Just wondering if he will be back by the weekend or if I need to find a new hunting buddy

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

Messor....As with most calibers there has been a tremendous improvement in bullet design and construction.A 380gr 'soft' .375 bullet has proved itself to be a reliable buffalo bullet.

Most of the older generation had reservations about the .375 on buffalo and most of the problems stemmed from the relatively high speed generated with the 300gr bullets available in the day.The major offerings with expanding bullets proved to be fragile and tended to break up while the solids were guilty of over penetration and resulted in the danger of wounding a second,unseen animal.

Would i have staked my life on a .375 50 years ago...no way..........would i today...sure.
    I don’t know 64

Nosler partition, almost 70 years
    Swift A-Frame, almost 40 years.
    Hell even Barnes ain’t a new kid on the block anymore.

That is all good and well but then you start reading, and then things just don’t make sense.
    On the one hand you have rangers that shot buff with just about any rifle and bullet they had in hand, in the other you have clients that for the life of them struggle to kill the near invincible buff.
    This causes you to analyze the situation to see what’s what.

As you know I am also no buff hunter, well just because the generations that came before me shot ALL the buff dead in the area I live in with peashooters. And we are probably talking 10’s of millions not 3 or4. So I never knew buff personally when I was young I just read about them, these days they walk on the farm next to us. But since many a writer have a romantic view about hunting the African big five it was laughable when I first saw one in real life. It’s a tiny little thing, smaller than many of our cattle species. The photo’s of people sitting 100m behind their kill doesn’t really help this.

So what gives, only one thing, business.
    Hunting buff is a business, nothing more, it all starts by romanticizing hunting among clients.
    And on that note the other day I read an article where a client felt sorry for the buff after shooting it 10 times. TEN times good lord, why do you feel sorry for something you shot TEN times if you ain’t even going to eat it, you shot it dead just because you wanted to kill it, get over it.

Anyways, so you romanticize killing the big stuff, and then you need clients, and since buff ain’t cheap your clients are most probably doctors, bankers, lawyers and dentists, you know.
    So your dentist that’s been hearing about the super invincible buff is so rattled by the time he takes the shot that he doesn’t even know if he hit the animal or not. This is evident by all the hunting accounts as people just write about how their hearts was pounding 200 miles an hour.

So after all this fuss and drama, and after all the smoke from the PH’s rifle cleared, what happened?
    Did the client shoot the buff neatly through both lungs, or even the heart, and the buff died?
    Or lets rephrase, if the client shot the buff neatly through the heart or both lungs would the buffalo have died in the first place? You see this is the little grey area mostly not written about, people ALWAYS write about the 10 bullets in the animal, why don’t they write about their first shot in the vitals that killed the animal right there and then?

64 if you ask me it’s because more often than not people’s first shot is not a good one. Hell we don’t see this just with buff hunting we see it in all hunting, people just can’t shoot. That is why hunting DG stuff is done with a PH or two, mostly people that can shoot.

This brings you back to the topic, if you cut through the BS, and all the hype, and all the written drama, then I see no reason why someone cannot shoot a buff with a 300gr Gameking. If the client is skilled he’ll probably do it every time. And if he is not skilled than why are we defending people not skilled enough shooting buff, just because it’s a business and the norm?

No f@cking way, then we lost the plot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    pre 64, in theory, would you hunt a buffalo with a 338LM? Specifically using 285gn Barnes TTSX traveling at 2800fps?
    Speed works with solid bullets, in expanding bullets it inhibits penetration.

My 338WM will give better penetration with that same bullet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast