Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300gr Sierra Game King for Buffalo

User

Myself, and the group of active experienced Professional hunters I know, will not let a client use 300 gr sierra game king. Period. Yes, you can kill the buffalo. But there is better, stronger bullets to use. So use them. Whether or not buffalo hunting is a business, they can still be very dangerous.

On the case of The 338. By law, the min caliber is .375 in many places/ provinces./ hunting areas. Period.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gustavroux View Post
    Myself, and the group of active experienced Professional hunters I know, will not let a client use 300 gr sierra game king. Period. Yes, you can kill the buffalo. But there is better, stronger bullets to use. So use them. Whether or not buffalo hunting is a business, they can still be very dangerous.

You, and your group of experienced professional hunters.

So, in other words, you don't want the hunter to get into any harms way.
    No nonsense just get the useless buffalo dead, get the dollars transferred, get the bankroll going.

None of this fair chase nonsense, just the human shooting the animal dead with 100% certainty, and every man feeling more manly because the odds was 100% in his favor.
    You mean these buffalo can be bloody dangerous if you don't execute them first with utmost prejudice.

Don't respond, I was being rhetorical, call it philosophical for silly reasons.
    The reason for it is in the modern world there is no hunting the big five, just killing the big five, the greenies have it spot on.
    We hunters are so scared of our own shadows we forgot how the thrill of the hunt feels.
    We cannot understand killing the animal dead with 100% certainty is failing it's biological design, it's function.
    We are more than successful at killing things than we know, than we ought to be, it shows.

User

Messor...You are a complicated person.

There are so many fails in your post that i do not really know where to start.From a PH's side [or from any other side] yes,the client must be kept safe...yes,the buffalo or any other animal must be killed as quickly and efficiently as possible,this is any hunters moral and ethical duty...yes,fair chase hunting of buff does take place even though the days of walking and searching for spoor have been short circuited,the actual final stalk,closing and taking the shot stay the same as it was 100 years ago...yes,their still exists an real element of danger,not like in the old days with our now speedy medical treatment,but that will not help if you are stomped dead.
    There is no 100% certainty,and as for feeling 'manly',if that is your opinion it could be transformed to the shooting of a bush pig or kudu,whatever.
    Yes,buffalo can and are dangerous and the best caliber/bullet should be used...saying to execute them with utmost prejudice sounds like a greenie sounding off.
    There are still places where the big five can be hunted and not just killed.
    Yes,we are successful at killing things,but we nailed that skill hundreds of years ago.

Now,having got that off my chest,i know where you are coming from.
    Me,i became disillusioned with PH'ing.I stopped.One of the reasons was the instances where i did all the work and i really did not think the client deserved the animal he shot.Money talks and time is short.

What really gets my tits in a rash is the videos posted of whooping and cheering with all the associated back slapping on the conclusion of a hunt.

I really feel that i was born in the wrong era but hunting man alone in truly wild places with no time constraints is long gone.
    I have no desire to hunt a buffalo or anything else with a PH/outfitter making things easy for me,staying in a 5 star lodge,being driven around in a cruiser,having an animal pointed out to me and told to shoot.

Unfortunately,yes,the whole hunting thing is bussiness driven and to me at least,a very watered down experience to how it was.
    Fortunately,i have many places to go on my own,ace out,to hunt but this is not possible to the vast majority of hunters today.

As a local hunter or especially an overseas hunter,there is no choice but to hire the services of a PH if you want to shoot a buffalo.That is the reality.

I have just re-read my post and it sounds like i am picking on you.Not intended.I think we are both too damn old school for our own good.

User

MMM

I think perhaps it’s because you don’t understand me.
    Do not think I don’t appreciate talent and work ethic.

Among you fellows there are a lot of folk I look up to.
    T-Stone, I look up to him very much, his job is hunting and that pisses me off more than anything :)
    Or yourself, having been there and done that, it’s annoying, but admiring, you know this.

Or our other fellow hunters, reloaders, etc.

Driepoot, Dale, Thomast.
    Our lost members, aka Gamefarmer etc.

I respect these folk and admire their endeavours.

But balance is not about that, balance cannot be a bunch of hunters vs a bunch of non hunters.
    I too made a life of killing stuff, and in this I am gifted, I killed more things than I care to remember, exponentially more than was called for. I too am looking through a scope focussing on the patch between the ear and the eye and thinking you my animal brother, are not an opponent.

So you lot of folk I look up to, you are here to keep the balance, lord knows we need it, please keep at it.

Myself, I am here to unbalance it.

User

@ Gustavroux

It is interesting to note that the Sierra manufacturer agrees with you. They are confident that the bullet will do the job but it is not really designed for the African tough stuff. I emailed them and they were slightly hesitant. A good shot through the ribs will do the job but it is not regarded as one of the "go to" options for Cape Buffs.

User

Webster

I know you are an ardent fan of Sierra bullets, but if it where me and I wanted to use a "conventional" bullet, I would bite the bullet (excuse the pun) and buy the 300 grain Swift A frame and be done with it.

User

Dale - if you read further back in this thread you will see that I will be doing just that. I am considering the following options at the moment:
    Soft - Norma 300gr, Rhino 300gr 340gr 380gr, Swift A frame 300gr, Nosler Partition 300gr. (Barnes is not a soft but I am also considering the 300gr TSX)
    Solids - Rhino 300gr, Nosler 300gr, Hornday 300gr DGS, PMP 286gr

My Preference is a combination of the Rhinos at this stage.

User

OK - a good friend is willing to sponsor some Swift A Fames so the choice of Soft has just been made!
    Now just for the solid. Does anyone have an opinion on the 286gr PMP solid? I am actually considering it quite seriously.

User

The PMP 300gr softs are pieces of shite.

Conversely,the PMP 286gr solids are good.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast