Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Advice of dog breeds for anti-poaching

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    What are Ridgebacks like as anti-poaching dogs?
    It depends on what you mean by "anti-poaching dogs".

The term is broad and encompasses many different things. It will be very rare to find a dog of any breed that has the right genetics and drives to do everything. It will also be very time consuming and expensive to shape the necessary behaviours to do all things.

The term can include: tracking, detection (horn, meat, cash, guns, cases etc), area searches for articles, apprehension (bitework) etc.

I don't really have much experience with ridgebacks but the ones that I have seen could be pretty good tracking dogs. They generally have good stamina and good noses.

That said, there is a reason why most MIL/LE and security companies prefer the northern european shepherd breeds. They are good all rounders, tend to be smart and fast learners.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

My friend suggested that you contact Hannes at Mechem. They are involved in anti-poaching in Kruger
    hannes@mechem.co.za

More info...
    http://www.mechemdemining.com/press-...ional-Park/129

I don't think there will be one dog that would admirably manage all the tasks you mention, but if there is, I would say the Ridgey would be near the top of the list. All of the manwork breeds would suffice in terms of tracking people, the Ridgey however would be well placed in terms of dealing with the environment. Ridgebacks however are not easy to train and would not be ideal in terms of manwork for that reason. In terms of dealing with the poachers dogs, you might want to consider a multi-dog approach and add dog pack to for the purpose of locating and dealing with the offending dogs - along the lines of a jackal pack, or foxhounds ect. In terms of dealing with offending people, SSP has already given superb advice which I agree with entirely.

User

The military use mostly 2 two types of dogs. Rottweiler for guard dogs (also some Alsation) and Alsation (some dobermans) for patrol dogs. Alsation good tacker dogs and agressive enough when on patrol

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    The military use mostly 2 two types of dogs. Rottweiler for guard dogs (also some Alsation) and Alsation (some dobermans) for patrol dogs. Alsation good tacker dogs and agressive enough when on patrol
    Which military?

Thank you all for the feedback. There is lots of food for thought, which i will pass onto the guys on the ground trying to implement the anti poaching

User

Train and equip the people it will be a lot more economical and practical.
    Dogs are hard to train and expensive to keep and really really difficult to replace. People on the other hand is much easier to train and replace and with good gear will be more effective.(than currently not more than dogs)

Ridgebacks are great dogs if you understand the way they think. They are extremely pack orientated dogs that think logically. Scotty Stewart has bread great working dogs for the Kruger Park. He is a wealth of information on the working Ridgeback and has consistently bread for intelligence. If interested contact him on 0822533111. In my experience the shorter stockier Ridgebacks (as they originally were bread) have been better working dogs than the talker lanky ones bread for shows.

User

Belgian Malinois and Dutch shepards as mentioned. My former instructor is still an anti poaching ranger/dog handler. These dogs get dropped out of aircraft with the handler and seem to be great breeds for anti poaching. Some special forces use them for rappeling out of choppers, down walls for window entries etc. They have the stamina, aggression and ability to track effectively. I have seen them pull a guy out through a car window after being parachuted in, very impressive indeed.

That being said, this same instructor picked up a random mixed breed pup somewhere and kept it as his personal dog, he turned it into a top notch anti poaching dog. It is all in the training, and the training never stops until the dog retires.

This conservancy, is it supported by the government ?

Is there no danger of it being occupied , or is public land off limits to public occupation, and only white owned on the menu ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast