Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Which jacket for cold weather to get?

I am in need of advice again.

I will be going to Germany in December and, being a South African, cold has a different meaning to us than to Europeans.

My old K-way ski jacket was not as good as I had hoped from last time and I think I will need another cold weather/ski jacket. I was freezing while sitting in the Hochsitz!

So, I need some suggestions please about what cold weather jacket to get and where to get it.

I'm based in Jhb.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Which jacket for cold weather to get?

Cape Union has a good selection. Make sure it's rated for snow.

User

Any decent 3 in 1 jacket will do well. The trick is to add this to a decent Base layer and fleece top

User

More important is thermal underweat and decent socks and boots.

Banned

We in South Africa tend to believe in a thick jacket because we shed most of our warm clothing at 10:00 after the sun has done it's part.

The trick with Europe is multiple, thick, long layers as well as a formidable isolation of your head and neck.

When I knew it was going to get really cold (-15°C and colder) I would put on two layers of socks (thin cotton and thick wool); four layers of leg goodies (thin, tight long johns; thick loose long johns; a pair of regular cotton sweat pants and a thick pair of trousers); similar on the torso and then a thick scarf wrapped three times around my neck as well as a stuffed beanie.

And grog in sufficient quantities

Most of the people i know that traveled overseas in cold areas for a extended period of time all agreed on one thing. Unless your buying expedition quality clothing at stores that specialize in those areas buy something decently warm here and go buy winter clothing that side.

Friend bought the warmest clothes he could get in ZA without paying expedition quality prices and he barely made it two days before going to a clothing store and buying normal winter clothing on their side (worked out cheaper than expedition clothing this side) that worked way more effective.

User

I usually travel to germany every year over Dec to visit family and would suggest buying a decent jacket that side. Bought one 6 years ago and still use it till date. Good quality and does the job and worth buying that side.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I got an Irvin Jacket for my trips to Europe and extreme cold. Absolutely love it, never needed more than a t-shirt under it, even in 0C London.

Ive got a Parka from Jonson. The safety people.
    I think in the middle of a snow storm you will sweating in it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will certainly layer my clothing. I just need a decent jacket to complete the ensemble.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast