Default Bow hunting " rush"

So I watch these videos and spoke to guys who hunted with bow. They say even in a hide, when you shoot an animal with a bow it's an amazing rush superior to the rifle . Is this true. Is the wait in the hide worth it? Any bowhunters here?

User

Default Re: Bow hunting " rush"

Time spent in the hide is an opportunity to watch animals and birds from up close and I seldom get bored. Take something to read for the quiet times and a camera. As for the rush, try stalking up close in the Bush for a real adrenaline high then learn to control it to be able to take an accurate shot.

User

In short - yes.

User

I hunt both, although less with a bow in the last couple of years. What I can say is while my success rate with a bow is lower, the feeling of accomplishment(walk and stalking) is higher for me. Outside of that the excitement or rush is similar on a proper walk and stalk on both. I don't necessarily have as much feeling of accomplishment shooting an animal out of a hide as its a fairly easy way of killing an animal. Similar to shooting for the pot off the bakkie in my opinion. Walk and stalking with a bow I think has made me a better rifle hunter. I am more purposeful in my movements, more aware of the sound I make and more expectant of an animal behind every bush, especially in the thicker stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo99 View Post
    So I watch these videos and spoke to guys who hunted with bow. They say even in a hide, when you shoot an animal with a bow it's an amazing rush superior to the rifle . Is this true. Is the wait in the hide worth it?
    Look, from a technical point of view, it must be so.
    The rush you speak of is nothing more than the body supplying an adrenaline rush, which is a byproduct of our past where we had to physically kill the animal.

I have walked huge distances during hunts, the physical energy drain is enormous, also the adrenaline kicks in when you actively start to hunt, meaning spotted the animal and starts the stalk, this itself could be a very long process.
    When bow hunting from a hide you don't spend any energy, also there is no stalk, you wait for clear shot and take it, adrenaline is not used in the form of muscle movement en hence the "rush" is more.

It's like when you drive in your car all daydreaming, suddenly the traffic stops and you brake like a madman to avoid an accident. Afterwards the body is flooded with adrenaline, I've seen people get all shaky, but the adrenaline ain't used for anything.
    Same principle, call it a false "rush", feels more, but all dressed up and nowhere to go.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    Time spent in the hide is an opportunity to watch animals and birds from up close and I seldom get bored. Take something to read for the quiet times and a camera. As for the rush, try stalking up close in the Bush for a real adrenaline high then learn to control it to be able to take an accurate shot.
    +1
    Some of my most memorable huts was with the bow

Been hunting with rifles most of my life since age 5....used to get "bok koors" when i was young but that was remedied by a slap behind the head. Later on that "koors" went away and the only time i got it again was if i was surprised by an animal.
    Bow hunting is different in the sense that the anticipation builds. With a rifle you have many more options in shot placement than with a bow.
    First you have to wait for an animal to come within range, secondly you have to wait for it to present a broadside or quartering away shot. Whilst waiting the adrenaline starts to pump through your veins in anticipation. You can actually hear the blood pumping in your ears.
    But i have found that when I get to full draw that all goes away, time slows down to a point where you can see your arrow in flight and impact on the animal.

User

I agree. I once shot an Impala ram from a hide with a .357 rollie. The anticipation and waiting in silence, hardly breathing, while the herd slowly grazes in and moves around is hectic. I never get bokkoors otherwise, but that time was rough.