Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Write the perfect gun law

If you were to write your own gun law what would you put in?

After some thought I came up with a few rules I could live with:

1. No guns for criminals or crazies
    2. You have to keep your guns safe when you don't use them (safe storage)
    3. No Grenades/Landmines/Rockets/Mortars/Canons
    4. Very harsh punishment for gun crimes

5. Anything else is OK
    > Full Auto's, no ammo count limits, no gun count limits, concealed carry in all public land or property

6. I'm for 100% instant "shall-issue" licencing if you are not crazy/criminal

What say you?

User

Default Re: Write the perfect gun law

Could work. Just one thing: What's wrong with keeping a 40mm anti aircraft gun on your roof?

Mark Gogos

Quote Originally Posted by mic
    Could work. Just one thing: What's wrong with keeping a 40mm anti aircraft gun on your roof?
    It might rust in the rain! ;D

What is it with Gun owners constantly wanting to settle with laws regulating gun ownership.
    Why can't I own a cannon or a mortar? How many crimes have been committed with these? The only reason why governments prevent the ownership of these is fear.
    Why must I keep my guns in a safe? To stop them from being stolen? Stop the thieves. This is tantamount to criminalising the wearing of revealing clothing by women so that they don't get raped!

The only thing that will be reasonably acceptable is owner licencing and gun registration.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    What is it with Gun owners constantly wanting to settle with laws regulating gun ownership.
    Why can't I own a cannon or a mortar? How many crimes have been committed with these? The only reason why governments prevent the ownership of these is fear.
    Why must I keep my guns in a safe? To stop them from being stolen? Stop the thieves. This is tantamount to criminalising the wearing of revealing clothing by women so that they don't get raped!

The only thing that will be reasonably acceptable is owner licencing and gun registration.
    Well I'm sure you are not happy with the laws as they stand now?

Anyway, I'm not going to arm criminals by leaving my guns unsecured. I'm not about to arrive home and be killed by my own 100% functioning guns loaded with good ammo. Not to mention guns are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    Anyway, I'm not going to arm criminals by leaving my guns unsecured. I'm not about to arrive home and be killed by my own 100% functioning guns loaded with good ammo. Not to mention guns are expensive.
    This is a different issue. You have made a choice to lock away your guns. I would do the same. There is a huge difference, however, between choosing to do this, for whatever reason, and being told you have to by the state because it is incapable or unwilling to control crime.

Common sense should not be legislated. For example: Motorcycle helmet laws. It's common sense to wear one. If youre too dumb to do so do the rest of us really need your DNA diluting our gene pool?
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    This is a different issue. You have made a choice to lock away your guns. I would do the same. There is a huge difference, however, between choosing to do this, for whatever reason, and being told you have to by the state because it is incapable or unwilling to control crime.

Common sense should not be legislated. For example: Motorcycle helmet laws. It's common sense to wear one. If youre too dumb to do so do the rest of us really need your DNA diluting our gene pool?
    I do agree with you on the DNA thing. I don't wear a seatbelt because of the law. It's just stupid not to and I see most people driving without wearing theirs. I say good luck with that.

The difference with the helmet and seatbelt is that their stupidity only hurts themselves, not other people.

For this very reason I put in the safe storage requirement. It's the least intrusive law with a good chance of actually having a positive result. Or so I think. I want the least amount of gov interference. But if they interfere it should at least make sense.

My idea boils down to: 1. Keep your guns away from criminals. You are responsible for keeping them safe 2. Commit a crime with your gun and face some tough justice.

My FCA would fill about one page in the lawbooks.

Consider this: If I leave my car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and it gets stolen and the theives run over some children at a stop street. Am I responsible for their deaths?

Why don't we have to keep other dangerous objects in a safe then? Knives for example.
    Havamal

User

Consider this: If I leave my car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and it gets stolen and the theives run over some children at a stop street. Am I responsible for their deaths?

Why don't we have to keep other dangerous objects in a safe then? Knives for example.
    The person who commits the crime is 100% responsible for his actions. You wouldn't be responsible for the crimes commited with your gun or car, but why would you not secure your guns or lock your car? You have to at least do all you can not to help criminals kill people with your property.

Knives are too available to regulate - anything pointy thats strong enough is a knife.

I don't want to hear the stupid anti-gunners whine at me about guns being stolen from home, bla bla, for the children... My stuff is secured as good as possible and poses no threat to them. They can't get me on that one.

My point is this: The state should not criminalise the owner of a thing stolen as they do in the case of firearms, whether it was locked in a safe or not.

The state is , btw, attempting to severely restrict ones right to own and possess knives and other weapons though a new notice in terms of the dangerous weapons act.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast