Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Best All Round Hunting Bullet

I was surfing the net the other day and came across so many different bullets that are avalible in South Africa that I wondered, what is the best all round bullet to use for:
    1. General all round usage?
    2. Bush veld or close range?
    3. Open plains hunting ?
    The bullets that caught my eye were: Nosler Oartition, Nosler E-Tip, Swift A-Frame, Swift Scirocco 2, Rhino and GS Custom HV. Calibres in use would be 270, 7x64, 300wm. Although all know to be plains rifles they can be loaded for bush.

User

FORDJIE,
    As long as you select a so called "premium" bullet, ie one where the core is bonded to the jacket, or a good expanding monolithic bullet, you cant go wrong. You will have to see which bullet your rifle likes and shoots well with- accuracy and shot placement is probably more important than bullet construction. You can use the best bullet on the market and it still won't help improve a badly placed shot.
    All the calibres you mention operate at higher velocities (relatively) and meat damage with a standard bullet at closer bushveld range could be an issue.

Watch out for Rhino when shooting them to slow! My experience is that they do not open and act like a solid. I would also shoot any of the other bullets if I went for body shots. Culling and shooting headshots go for Sierra Matchking or something similar but not something to soft like Berger target bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by machann View Post
    Watch out for Rhino when shooting them to slow! My experience is that they do not open and act like a solid. I would also shoot any of the other bullets if I went for body shots. Culling and shooting headshots go for Sierra Matchking or something similar but not something to soft like Berger target bullets.
    +1 I experienced the same on Rhino with my 9,3.

I have had excellent results with Norma Oryx on the 9,3 and with A-Frames, Hornady Interbond, Barnes on .30 calibers and A-frames on .375H&H.

All good bullets Khumba. I’m waiting for my 375 H&H. I’m going to start off with GS customs to see what they can do. Just completed my dedicated hunter’s course last night and had a down to earth guy who culled elephant and buff (I wish). He suggestion for buff is Barnes and Barnes and Barnes and for hunting he shoots... PMP ProAmm and culling he does with normal PMP. Interesting?

I have heard very good things of the GS Customs ...

User

I have had not problem on my 9.3. I put the Rhino 300 grainers at a modest 2250 and they work perfectly every time. on small animal mind you.

Another good bullet made in SA at incredible prices is the claw. ( not trophy bonded bear claw) just claw.
    The manufacturer is in KZn and the technolgy is similar to Rhino, but at excellent prices.

Noslers are old technology. They kill effectively , yes, but because they break, the meat damage is worse than other newer bullet types.

My recommendation when considering pressure, accuracy, tougness and sheer sexiness, ( which is why Id rather carry a spear than carry a weatherby rifle ) is the Barnes triple shock. Hefty price tag but the very cutting edge of bullet design and killing characteristics. Also , meat damage is minimised.

Bear in mind though, that any projectile striking an animal at around 3000 fps is going to waste kilos of meat. Irrespactive of caliber always go for heaviest bullet.( not a fan of Koos Barnard). Trajectories vary so little that it is actually blown all out of proprortion.

That is why on my 270 I shoot a 160 Gr claw bullet at 2800 fps. on my 9.3 I fire a 300 Gr Rhino at 2250,( even though I had fun working up loads to launch a 250 Gr bullet at 2650 with pressure to spare). All work perfectly. The 300 Gr 9.3 has gotten me RW Mountain reedbuck in tarkastad ( moreofa long shots) and Blesbuck in the Free State. My 270 with Claws has harvested Gemsbuck and Red Hartebeest in the Kalahari ( very close shooting believe it or not) with minimal meat damage.

So for me, I guess enjoying a rifle for what it is, rather than what the americanwriters stating categorically what the ballistic class is. And my most important consideration is meat damage.

Of your choices above, if you are going to shoot for the pot, I would go with the 270 ( the 7 X 64 is ballistically identical but ammunition is less common). Excellent sectional density for penetration, excellent for long shots, and no noticeable recoil. I know the 300 wm is more versatile, but very few hunters actually shoot more than 1 or 2 bullet weights. You need to be a hard core reloader and experimenter to get the most out of a 300 Wm. and the negatives are it is a very unpleasant caliber to lie behind and build up loads anyway. (I am 6.4 and 115K's and I am not a fan). to pull the occasional hunting shot off my friends rifle, anyday, but not thanks to a range session.

Go with the 270, and buy at least 150 Grain bullets. if you realod, 160's, and you can slay, from springbuck, duiker through to Kudu and gemsbuck. if that once a blue moon chance at an Eland comes up, you could take it if you only allow yourself the side on "blad" shot.( although a 300 magnum like the 300 is preferable and a 8mm even better)

Shoo..hope that makes sense?

SA needs a Militia, have you recovered any of the Rhino bullets? My Rhino bullets also worked but so does 7.65 FMJ when shooting small game.

User

SA needs a Militia: Claw is made in East London, as is Rhino.
    They are two very different bullets where Claw is a bonded bullet and Rhino is a solid shank bonded bullet.
    The Claw owner and Rhino owners are brothers.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I am very happy with both Rhino and Hornady Interbonds.
    I load 180gr Interbonds and 200gr Rhino's in my 30-06, 174gr Rhino's in my 303, 300gr Interbonds in my 375 H&H and 140gr Interlocks and 140gr Rhino's in my 6.5x55.
    I get better accuracy with the Hornady bullets in my rifles, 1/2 moa groups with the 180gr Interbonds and 1/4 moa with the 140gr Interlocks . It does not matter which of the premium bullets you prefer, choose which suits your pocket best and shoots accurately in your rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast