Thread: 243 vs 25-06

User

Default 243 vs 25-06

hey guys. My family are big 243 fans so i like the roun(about 8 of them in the family). Now i have a 303 and im gona get a 375. I then would need a small game-longrange and varmin round. I dont know alot about the 25-06 but belive it wil have a edge over the 243 in that category due to its higher velocity and heavyer bullets.(les wind senitive). Wat do jou think?

Default Re: 243 vs 25-06

I have not used the 25-06 as yet and yes from a cost point of view and components availability point of view, the 243 would be a choice. However if I look at the comparisons between the 2, I would prefer the 25-06. To me it can give a flatter trajectory in the same bullet weight as the 243 and the ability to shoot heavier bullets with slightly more bullet drop than the 243. Yes, the 243 is a good choice but my choice (excluding issues like cost and component availability) would be the 25-06. I do think that it does have a noticeable advantage over the 243.

User

but if i reload then it would not be a issue

Yes and No.

The initial outlay for cases might be a bit more and the local shop might not have a set of dies available but these are issues that should not present a problem. I am however talking under correction but I think bullets are not as freely available for the 25-06 as the caliber is not so high in demad and in curculation within SA. But if you do get a supply and reload it should be a nice caliber to shoot with with a bit of an advantage above the 243.

User

is the 243 not more overbore than the 25-06? the look about the same to me,would be equally heavy on a barrel. and the second thing is i want to be Abel to download it to train the kids

I have no knowledge regarding overbore and have not even given this issue a thought up to now and can't even comment on it. However I would say that the 243 should be a lesser recoil-er than the 25-06 and if you are considering that as a major part of the decision, then the 243 would be the better choice. Also on overbore as per the answer / link provided by Ikor on your question on the subject, it would seem that the 243 would be the better choice in this regard. I do not know how much shooting you are intending with the rifle and if overbore would make a major difference in the lifespan in your choice.

I personally prefer the 25-06 over the 243 but that is me and the issue of overbore would not be a issue to me personally even if I shoot out the barrel over a period of time and need to replace it. But that is me and this might not apply to your view and goal.

User

thanks corne. I must admit that i am leaning towards the 243 at the moment but it will still be a long time before i buy 1.

The way I have been following this thread and your question about Overbore in another topic, I would say that choosing the 243 would be the more sensible choice for you. There is nothing wrong with the 243 and it would be a good choice and as applicable to all hunting calibers, as long as you remain within the capability spectrum of that caliber, you should have major enjoyment and satisfaction.

User

great minds think alike. That and the recoil and it is chambered in the howa varminter that i like.