Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Questionable warnings from SAPS Deputy Provincial Commissioner Maj. Gen Jan Schee

I know people come and see us at work time and again to do the Popi act for company.
    But we send them on their way. We store all customer and supplier info in fireproof safes.

Any case did not know it also applies in these cases.

If the stupid Rica thing with cellphones worked it would also curb alot of fraud and other cases as you could track the guy.

But you can just about anywhere get a sim card thats already activated/rica'ed.

So its in effect a waste of time.

Default Re: Questionable warnings from SAPS Deputy Provincial Commissioner Maj. Gen Jan Schee

I can show how RICA has decreased our ability to investigate insurance fraud. We pay very dodgy claims purely by not being able to access the cellular data as it’s RICAd to another name.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I know people come and see us at work time and again to do the Popi act for company.
    But we send them on their way. We store all customer and supplier info in fireproof safes.

Any case did not know it also applies in these cases.

If the stupid Rica thing with cellphones worked it would also curb alot of fraud and other cases as you could track the guy.

But you can just about anywhere get a sim card thats already activated/rica'ed.

So its in effect a waste of time.
    The whole cellphone Rica thing has some good analogies to gun control. It is common knowledge that it only frustrates law abiding people and does nothing to stop crime.

User

how does rica even work when i see guys selling sim cards in taxi ranks etc

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

The advent of 'pre-RICA'd' simcards is a boon and blessing to mankind.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

An article in the October 2017 edition of Man Magnum ties in nicely with this thread. Article on page 6 Trail Talk: Social Media by Phillip Hayes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    criminals intercepting whats app

jeez we have moved away from the days of the coke can being placed outside the house
    Bwahahhahaaa!

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    Due to the new POPI act, sending images identifying possible suspects on any public domain, before they have been charged, WILL lead to case being thrown out of court if their lawyer can prove they were broadcast on public domain.
    It is a massive problem that has the potential to derail neighborhood watches and concerned community groups ability to assist in catching suspects via taking advantage of simple technology.
    In our area we have already had 2 'traditionally slam dunk' cases of muggers caught by community initiatives utilizing Whatsapp to inform and broadcast pics of suspected perps thrown out..
    Afaik it's actually in the Police Act (I do not have the full name or section thereof at hand), which restricts the publication of criminals to media.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    Afaik it's actually in the Police Act (I do not have the full name or section thereof at hand), which restricts the publication of criminals to media.

I think the actual issue here is that the evidence from Identity Parades, facial sketches being compiled from descriptions, recognition from albums of known offenders etc. are compromised if the photos of the suspects or whoever finds themselves in the dock were distributed previously on Whatssap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast