Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger PC Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Jip. That is true. "Slamming" just has a few degrees of force. I believe you need to seriously slam it in to get that effect. Then also, why would a person need to use excessive force when inserting mags?
    When shooting a match in the PCC division, that is when!

User

Hi Gents

Just a question. I have no intention to offend anyone who is a fan of the Ruger PC carbine, I am just interested to know what prospective buyers see in this product. I am seeing a-lot of fanfare both from SA and abroad. Aside from the fact that it is a 9mm PCC and is manufactured by a respected company, what are the selling points, is it the Glock mag interchangeability or the “takedown” 2 piece design etc.

They had them at Kings in Durban around September last year, going for about R16k. I thought, firstly, it was far to long, equaling out to an 18inch AR15 and perhaps a tad heavier (that being the 16” model). I have “heard” via the internet, some chaps saying they are accurate, but have never seen anyone put it on a bench rest or bipod+RBag and get proper 100 yard MOA data using different loads. Are they perhaps exceptionally accurate compared to it’s competitors?

Regards

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dvyant View Post
    Hi Gents

Just a question. I have no intention to offend anyone who is a fan of the Ruger PC carbine, I am just interested to know what prospective buyers see in this product. I am seeing a-lot of fanfare both from SA and abroad. Aside from the fact that it is a 9mm PCC and is manufactured by a respected company, what are the selling points, is it the Glock mag interchangeability or the “takedown” 2 piece design etc.

They had them at Kings in Durban around September last year, going for about R16k. I thought, firstly, it was far to long, equaling out to an 18inch AR15 and perhaps a tad heavier (that being the 16” model). I have “heard” via the internet, some chaps saying they are accurate, but have never seen anyone put it on a bench rest or bipod+RBag and get proper 100 yard MOA data using different loads. Are they perhaps exceptionally accurate compared to it’s competitors?

Regards
    Good questions, Dvyant.

From my perspective, I am interested in investigating this Ruger PCC rifle further because of the fact that it is (a) manufactured by a respected FA company; (b) all of the reviews and write-ups on this rifle have been very positive about it; (c) it is a pistol calibre carbine (so ammo for it won't be a problem, especially for those of us who already reload for 9mmP and reloading is cheaper and easier than reloading for a traditional AR calibre); (d) from the reviews i have seen, it appears to be solidly and properly made; (e) it is a take down model (and can thus be easily used in a bug-out bag); (f) it takes Glock mags (which many of us already have, so this will definitely save us money); (g) it appears to have certain variants, so will cater to different people's specific requirements; (h) all of the variants seem to come with a picatinny rail, which allows for easy sight and red dot addition; and (i) i have not been too taken by many of the other PCC options available in the market..

Of course, all of the above will be fanciful thinking if the landed price of these is too much (when compared to other PCC options and/or the cost of equivalent AR rifles), so let's see (especially with the Rand's recent losses against the US$).

User

Interesting review done by Paul Harrel, I generally agree with and respect his arguments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYceGAcHmU

I suppose when you factor in, PCC proprietary magazines costing around R800-R900 a pop, Glock or other handgun mag interchangeability makes for a huge selling point, pn its own. In hindsight I have spent just over R3000 on Stribog mags. Essentially doing myself out of a case (or close to) of new 9mmP ammo. Makes you think.

User

Hmmmm... it looks like Paul Harrel is not a fan (at all), which is fair enough.

That said (and in order to get a different perspective), it is probably also worthwhile watching Hickock45's follow-up video on this carbine. See link:

What is interesting to note is that he seems to be able to shoot it way better than Paul...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dvyant View Post
    Hi Gents

Regards
    To list it's attractions:

A fun gun. Basically a 10/22 with much more punch.

Cheap to shoot, especially if you reload.

Low recoil, making it a good choice for training noobs, girls and even boys.

Quite some home defense capabilities.

Should be good for most sporting disciplines where allowed.

My only dislike is the long (16") barrel, but that is there to placate the law in the USA. 8 - 10" would be a handier barrel length.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Part of my decision was actually its longer barrel and size. It is a Carbine, agreed, but much more gun than for instance a CZ Scorpion (that is a"blown up pistol" IMO) or a MP5 type Carbine. It depends on what you want from the gun and where it fits into your gun package. For me, the Ruger made perfect sense as there are no other Carbine in that category of being actually a huge carbine but smaller than a rifle. For smaller needs a dedicated Glock in a Roni makes more sense for my needs and purpose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    My only dislike is the long (16") barrel, but that is there to placate the law in the USA. 8 - 10" would be a handier barrel length.
    Remember that Ruger also makes the PC Charger, which has a 6.5" / 165mm barrel...

Link: https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCha...ets/29100.html

User

Very interesting, thanks. Starting to understand that the PC Carbine is probably seen more as a rifle chambered in 9mmP rather than a 9mmP SMG in Semi-Auto only. Thus appealing more to those who are looking for something like a 10-22 with added functionality such as being able to be used for varminting and home defense.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

It has arrived!!

License received last week. PC Carbine picked up Friday. Pinched the time late yesterday to quickly put about 50 rounds through it, as is with factory sights. Already have the Glock mag attachment in. Just plinked on rocks and sods in a ploughed land to just shoot the carbine for the first time. Will check precision accuracy etc when having time for that. Is silly season this side now.

1. I am impressed.
    2. I did not bet the ejector yet..... (But can see that it will happen when abused.)
    3. It cycled flawlessly. (Used MaxxTech 124 gr ammo I had.)
    4. It is seriously much more accurate from my hands with a pistil from my hands.
    5. Could easily hit 150 mm diameter targets at 50 - 70 m with sights. If not a hit, at least very very close. Remember off hand plinking and the sun already behind the horizon.
    6. It provides noticeable increase in velocity compared to a pistol.
    7. It can cycle seriously fast. Maybe a Michulek finger wil be too fast for it, but it can shoot as fast as I can pull a trigger.
    8. Recoil is noticeable but really not something to talk about. The muzzle do rise when firing too rapidly.
    9. Already ordered a silencer with integral muzzle break for the missus and my daughter. They hate muzzle blast and noise.
    10. Am I impressed with my purchase at this stage? Yes!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast