Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger PC Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    It has arrived!!

License received last week. PC Carbine picked up Friday. Pinched the time late yesterday to quickly put about 50 rounds through it, as is with factory sights. Already have the Glock mag attachment in. Just plinked on rocks and sods in a ploughed land to just shoot the carbine for the first time. Will check precision accuracy etc when having time for that. Is silly season this side now.

1. I am impressed.
    2. I did not bet the ejector yet..... (But can see that it will happen when abused.)
    3. It cycled flawlessly. (Used MaxxTech 124 gr ammo I had.)
    4. It is seriously much more accurate from my hands with a pistil from my hands.
    5. Could easily hit 150 mm diameter targets at 50 - 70 m with sights. If not a hit, at least very very close. Remember off hand plinking and the sun already behind the horizon.
    6. It provides noticeable increase in velocity compared to a pistol.
    7. It can cycle seriously fast. Maybe a Michulek finger wil be too fast for it, but it can shoot as fast as I can pull a trigger.
    8. Recoil is noticeable but really not something to talk about. The muzzle do rise when firing too rapidly.
    9. Already ordered a silencer with integral muzzle break for the missus and my daughter. They hate muzzle blast and noise.
    10. Am I impressed with my purchase at this stage? Yes!
    Thank you for the great report! And congratulations on the new rifle!

Bought mine Saturday. Will apply in next week or so. So I have some time to wait and custom the heck out of it

There is also a new PCC model coming in which will have M4 style stock and rear grip which should be quite nice.

I went with the Standard setup as I was looking for a cheap gong plinker at 100 to max 150 at range

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Mine also standard Shooty. If I want to use a gun that looks “tactical” and semi auto etc I use my AR. For various reasons I want this one to be looking like a “normal” rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Mine also standard Shooty. If I want to use a gun that looks “tactical” and semi auto etc I use my AR. For various reasons I want this one to be looking like a “normal” rifle.
    Same with me. I looked at the current one that has the from with Mlok rail. And thought nope. Normal is the one.
    In the late 90's early 2000's I use to shoot a lot with the original Ruger PC.

I however do plan to fit a Red Dot on it. Just pondering which option to get.

User

I have a Bushnell AR Optics scope (1-4 x 25, IR) that looks as if it will be a nice fit. Maybe also a Red dot on a 45 % rail at the side, but the AR Optics on 1 x are damn close to a red dot. Will still see if the side mounted red dot are needed.

Try Camdix, Guns & Bows, VLT.

Shot the one Im buying on Saturday very nice and accurate.

Also fitted it with an A-Tec 9mm silencer. Which you can adjust size of silencer length. It sounds so nce with it.

I shot 147gr Lyman cast which I powder coated with S121. No issues at all.

User

I am reporting on this thread further, then all is together on these great carbines.

During the last few weeks I developed 147 gr loads for my PC Carbine and did some accuracy testing. I am impressed. Really.

The 3 bullets that I used for accuracy testing after development:

1. Frontier CMJ FP (Also the sighting in bullets.)
    2. Hornady XTP
    3. Silver Rapid

With regards to the first two: They print really close together. At 25 m POI is the same. 50 m have the XTP printing 20 mm lower than Frontier. At 75 m the groups widened, so I cannot give precise figures, but the XTP printed 35 mm about lower than Frontier and 30 mm to the right. At 100 m XTP dropped 50 mm more.

Best 5 shot group at 50 m was with XTP with 4 shots cutting each other and a flyer 30 mm to the right. Not bad with a 1-4 X 24 Scope (AR Optics) with relative thick cross hairs (actually just a post.) The Frontiers managed 2 shots cutting and the rest around it for a 65 mm group.

At 75 m the XTP gave a 70 mm group with Frontier at the same.

100 m groups measured really tight with XTP, except for one flyer dropping 4 inches low, but can also be driver error due to aiming point I am coming to later. The Frontiers did a nice 120 mm group.

Silver Rapid: My Carbine just don't like them it seems. Or I should lower their velocity. But I could not manage any groups or consistency to report on. Also weird is that at 25 m they print on exactly the same line of elevation but string out horizontally over 280 mm for 5 shots. At 50 m they close up to 150 mm, still same elevation line. At 75 m I could not hit the A4 target with more than 3 shots out of 5 so I stopped any further use of them.

Bullet drop:

Bullet drop between XTP and Frontier is the same for all practical purposes. It is not a high precision rifle or scope. In general the following:

If zeroed at 50 m still spot on at 25 m.

If Zero is at 50 m, bullet drop at 75 m is roughly 75 mm (3 inches)

Zero at 50, bullet drop at 100 m of roughly 150 mm (6 inches.)

In other words 3 inches for every 25 m beyond 50 m. I guess this will continue to 150 m and then it will go "out of bounds" with regards to bullet drop.

The AR Optics scope from Bushnell provides for a reticle with a post and then marked off lines to the bottom forming cross hairs for estimated bullet drop of an AR for 100 m at center aiming point, then 200, 300, 400 and 500 m. For the PC Carbine I found that the 100 m and 200 m line works good enough for intended accuracy when Zero point is at 50 m, the 100 m line will zero at 75 and 200 m at 100 m. The 200 m line print a bit high at 100 m, lets say 1,5 - 2 inches. That is not a concern for me as normally target distances, except when known, are under estimated by myself.

So I am content and impressed with accuracy gained. There will be shooters and reloaders that can do better. Fitting a high powered scope will also tighten groups, but then, how accurate do we want a 9mm carbine to be? Zero down hits on any IDPA type target out to 150 m is seriously accurate enough and that would be possible with ease. "Head shots" out to 75 m can also be done successfully with good marksmanship. The rifle can do it, no problems there.

I have never had any feeding or ejection problems with my PC Carbine. I use Glock Mags. Then, during this accuracy testing suddenly I had a stove pipe. Could not believe it. After 4 shots, another one. As i cleared it I saw the brass from the previous 2 shots on the tarpaulin next to me and that they had signs of almost stove piping (bent case mouths.) I stopped and inspected the rifle. As I picked it up the screw (button head, hex) on top of the receiver fell out. I had my range toolbox with me and fixed and tightened it. No more problems.

When at home I did a google search to find a torque spec for this screw. On the web and various forums it is discussed that there are 3 of those screws. 2 is covered by the stock. 1 on top. They fix the cover plates and barrel receiver for the take down. When this top screw comes loose, guess what is the first sign.... Stove pipes. It is not a serviceable part so could not find torque specs, but tightened it with blue Loctite to "just tight." Will take of the stock at some stage and apply Loctite to the others as well. Others with PC Carbines, remember this, or just apply Loctite in any case and prevent any problems.

Happy shooting with your PC Carbines. Mine is still great and I will never part with it. It serves me perfectly for what it was bought for.

User

Thanks for the report Adoons.

I took mine to the range just yesterday for some informal plinking and function testing ammo.

Mine has the traditional plastic furniture, so no screws to come loose and jam things up.

Another source of jams could be the older gen 1-2 Glock mags with the rounded U-notch. Make sure you use the newer mags with the almost square notch. They run purrfectly.

I had borrowed the LPVO for another FA, so this session was with the standard open sights. My eyes are not what there once were, but the forward-mounted peep/ghost ring rear sight made for a decent sight picture and had me ringing steel fairly consistently. I like the sights a lot.

How did I ever get along without one of these?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast