User

Default SAPS "ASSIST" WITH PRIVATE TRAFFIC FINE COLLECTION AGENCIES ?

Ran into a road-block at Hazyview on 26th Dec. Roadblock manned by SAPS, but also present was an unmarked white van with numberplate recognition equipment, checking for unpaid fines. Turns out I have a couple of those "hidden camera" ones that come through the post. Got pulled off and told to report to the van. Got there and given a print-out of the fines by guy in civilian clothes. Told to pay before I could leave. I refused and said I consider hidden camera fines as illegal and was waiting for summons to defend myself in court. He offered 50% discount if I paid on the spot, but I still refused and asked for a summons with a court date. Surprise! He is not a traffic official and cannot issue summonses. He works for a Pvt contractor that does collections for the traffic dept. No traffic-police/official on site. Says I can go.

SAPS manning the roadblock were only pulling off the vehicles identified by the white van as having outstanding fines. No other vehicles pulled off, or checked for anything else.

Surely this is misuse of SAPS authority/ manpower & resources??

Default Re: SAPS "ASSIST" WITH PRIVATE TRAFFIC FINE COLLECTION AGENCIES ?

Late Xmas bonus???

User

Urgh, I abhor the practice. Well done on sticking to your, err, guns. It’s quite disingenuous how they use these intimidation tactics to fill their coffers. As a rule, I ignore all fines issued by mail or sms. Only fines I consider to be lawfully issued are those handed to you at the time of transgression or those delivered to you via the sheriff of the court.

In no way do I advocate breaking the law by speeding of course. But in the unlikely event that I did break the law, such notice must be given while adhering to the law.

User

Well done for standing up for your rights SW! Question:"How many uninformed citizens have they caught with this bully tactics?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
    Well done for standing up for your rights SW! Question:"How many uninformed citizens have they caught with this bully tactics?
    Funny you should ask. While I was standing there, an elderly couple was made to pay R200. They only had a bank card with them.... guess what.... out came the speed-point machine!!! They were given the discounted offer and made to sign a form of some sorts...No doubt a disclaimer of some sort stating that they were not co-erced into paying...Just a guess. The old chap was shaking so much that the "official" had to tell him to calm down. I wanted to interfere, but decided not worth it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    and made to sign a form of some sorts...
    it's an Admission of Guilt. This means you reject the right to a trial where the onus is on the State to prove your guilt, and you get a reduced fine as a sentence, sort of like a plea bargain type deal.

User

This makes me quite upset really. Glad you stood up for your rights. Well done.

User

Same thing happening in my area. The difference is, the municipal traffic officers are handling the road block for the private contractor.

Some people are easily bullied into paying. Last time I got stopped, there were about 10 vehicles waiting there patiently.

I tell them straight away, those notices have no legal standing. If they want me, they should issue summonses. And I WILL go see the prosecutor first, then go to court.

Interesting if you study all the little mistakes on the notices from the hidden cameras. Might well be of use when the matter does go to court. So far not a single one has gone there yet.

We had an interesting situation a while ago. A local newspaper with a journalist (and his editor) who is actually doing something usefull enquired at the municipal traffic head about all the hawkers right under the "no hawking" signs, right next to the "hidden" speed camera. He replied that the specific road is a provincial road and he has no jurisdiction there. The journo the enquired about the legality of the speed camera sitting on the exact same road. No sensible response yet...

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    it's an Admission of Guilt. This means you reject the right to a trial where the onus is on the State to prove your guilt, and you get a reduced fine as a sentence, sort of like a plea bargain type deal.
    Be careful about signing admission of guilt stuff - you can end up with a criminal record without realising it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    Be careful about signing admission of guilt stuff - you can end up with a criminal record without realising it.
    True that. However, with these traffic offences, if a summons has not been issued yet, I can not see how paying a fine can lead to a criminal record. Maybe a legal proffesional can give us better info?