Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thorn

Default Thorn

Dear Hunter (not shooters)

Would like to test the following concept with you, since I have had it up to here with intoxicated shooters on my farm.

1. Only "walk and stalk" method
    2. Only solitary hunters in other words, you go into the territory by yourself, armed with your kit and a two-way radio to call me when you're done. (Maybe father and son, husband and wife combinations can be an alternative)
    3. No day-fees payable. You only pay for your animal.
    4. Self catering only.
    5. Sleep in bushlodge with all the basics, or pitch your tent.

Game prices not fixed and supplied on request. Depending on what u need.

Your ideas/views will be appreciated.

Thorn

User

I am a rifle and bow hunter, and the one thing that i hate about rifle hunting is the fact that you always need to tag a guide along, so there you on the winning path if you allow hunting without guides.

Secondly, i think there is a big market for guys that want to pitch their tent and camp and hunt, also not allowed on many farms.

That is why we hunt and camp, to get away from the city and commercialization of lodges etc.

To me, you have a great concept.

Thanks Bundu Ric, that was really quick feedback. What would you as a regular (biltong) hunter consider a fair price for Red Hartbeest, Kudu, Impala & Blesbuck?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Thanks Bundu Ric, that was really quick feedback. What would you as a regular (biltong) hunter consider a fair price for Red Hartbeest, Kudu, Impala & Blesbuck?
    A fair price would the the price you set in order to cover cost and make a profit.

What stopped me from hunting the last 5 years was not the cost of the game, but rather the day fees.

Were are you located?

Socrates,
    Suppose day fees would be ok if the outfitter needs to do catering, provide fancy pillows and chocolades, therefore the reason for me to break away from this trend. (No day fees, only pay for your animal(s).....killed or wounded)

My setup is close to Rorkes Drift, KZN.

User

Great Concept and getting back to the real hunting!

If you read back a bit you will see I actually asked for something like this a few months ago!

I would support you 100%.

I too am tired of having to "hunt" from a bakkie and staying in fancy lodges etc mainly from landowner pressure!

I want to pitch my tent, walk and stalk and enjoy the bush!

My one question would be may I please bring my pointer, who I love hunting with and for me it tops off the experience hunting with a good dog!

Your concept is great well done

Wish there were more places like this available. These farms ask an arm and a leg for accommodation, and all you really get is a bed, toilet and shower. Would love to pitch my own tent again, and have an outside shower. Brings me back to my first hunt, in the Northern Cape back in 1998.

Was dropped off on the owners farm, far away from everything. Their was just access to water at the campsite, you had to bring all your luxuries yourself. Was one of my best hunts ever.

User

I would give you my Exclusive support.

Its exactly what i would want.

I must agree, the day fees + bakkie fees + per kilometer + accomodation + firewood + caping fees etc make the whole experience ridiculous.

A per Kilo rate of R17 to R23 rand ( gutted head off )would be fair for the above. You on the other hand could charge more because of the savings elsewhere. Charging per Kilo is always a good idea

User

Thorn - This is a great idea and I would support you as well. The prices (per kg) as mentioned above seem to be attractive and fair. Please keep us updated as to the development of this plan. Walk and stalk hunting is the best.
    Thanks for offering this concept for comments.
    Marek

Thanks Guys,
    You have exceeded my expectations. LukeS your pointer will be more than welcome (Just remember to apply a good dose of Frontline). I'm willing to give it a shot.......any suggestions on how to keept tally of wounded animals?
    You're welcome to mail me on thorn@thornlands.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast