Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Movies and Books

John Robbie said on 702 that Sa is an interesting place because we have Sandton next to Alexandria.He said first world next to third world.He says we know why this is because of the past.

I tried to phone in and was blocked but my comment would have been " without colonialism, there would have been no Sandton, No alexandria, No wheels, no hospitals, no parliament No cricket, no soccer, no roads etc etc etc.

Do you know that The railways system as built by the British in India, basically retains the same mileage etc as the day the British left.

I Personally believe that British colonialism was a gift to the the world, because all those that scream and shout the loudest about it have all given away thier own values and cultures and ernestly seek and pursue Western Culture. Food, knives and forks, Range Rovers, etc etc.

I have been to Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand and it is incredible how those people have embraced thier colonial past. First class in Singapore airlines is called Raffles class. the Discoverer and first British Governer General. they love the guy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardus View Post
    Inglorious Basterds was entertaining, and funny, but not really ANY good as a war movie in my opinion.

Speaking of Tarantino - Pulp Fiction is one of my favourite movies. There is a very good scene (in a car) that shows exactly why you should ALWAYS point a gun in a safe direction, and keep fingers off the trigger. Hahaha

I also liked 'We Were Soldiers', good movie.
    'Windtalkers' wasn't that good in my opinion.

Has anyone seen Hot Shots or Hot Shots 2?
    I have often said that windtalekrs is the worst movie of all time.

My favourite waqs the Thin red line.

Does anybody remember the series "ouens soos ons" i have looked for that for years but havent found it.

That was a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by SA needs a Militia View Post
    John Robbie said on 702 that Sa is an interesting place because we have Sandton next to Alexandria.He said first world next to third world.He says we know why this is because of the past.

I tried to phone in and was blocked but my comment would have been " without colonialism, there would have been no Sandton, No alexandria, No wheels, no hospitals, no parliament No cricket, no soccer, no roads etc etc etc.

Do you know that The railways system as built by the British in India, basically retains the same mileage etc as the day the British left.

I Personally believe that British colonialism was a gift to the the world, because all those that scream and shout the loudest about it have all given away thier own values and cultures and ernestly seek and pursue Western Culture. Food, knives and forks, Range Rovers, etc etc.

I have been to Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand and it is incredible how those people have embraced thier colonial past. First class in Singapore airlines is called Raffles class. the Discoverer and first British Governer General. they love the guy.
    SANAM rather start a new thread.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardus View Post
    I liked the first Punisher movie.
    There was this one scene where the main character forces a guy to hold an anti-personnel mine with an outstretched arm, then rigs a tripwire to it while the guy has to hold it in place, and it obviously goes boom after a while. It's an entertaining movie.

The second movie, the one that has been aired about 20 million times on DSTV by now, 'Punisher: War Zone', is "nogal k@k".
    Yip. First Punisher was a real good movie for me. I usually get bored with most everything I watch\listen to and skip forward to get the thing going, but I watched this movie all the way through. I was told version 2 sucks. One movie I only saw recently was the latest Star Trek movie. I'm going to watch it again!

Shooter: If you really enjoyed watching the first 'Punisher', do yourself a favor and avoid the second movie at all costs. VERY LAME!
    The new Terminator movie - 'Terminator: Salvation' - is also extremely good in my opinion.

SANAM: Colonialism is good, it brings the best of Western Civilisation to loin-cloth clad tribals. Good examples are the 'undiscovered' tribes that keep being 'discovered'. These people are still using 2000 year old technology and knowledge, while the Western World is by now gearing up to take a manned trip to Mars. Usually, the people get more advanced medical help if sick etc.

However, sometimes colonialism also brings the worst of Western civilisation to the locals, as we all know that King Leupold wasn't too popular with people in the Congo. And our own history is also soaked with the blood of (mostly) locals, the English, Dutch farmers and other miscellaneous settlers. I personally wouldn't have gone up against rifles & later machine guns with a spear and a cow-skin shield, but that's just me. Colonialism brings both the best and the worst of the modern world to those who weren't as modern.

It's good to hear the Malaysians and company embracing their colonialist past - but on the other hand, over here people are singing 'Kill the farmer, kill the boer'.

User

Enough with the talk on colonization. If you want start a thread but I warn you it will be very closely watched.

Warning has been received and noted. No more colonial talk from me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4