Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Suggestions needed for a sharpening system

My sister-in-law lives alone and is rather independent. She's now decided that she doesn't want to ask me to sharpen her knives anymore; she'd rather do it herself. She does not have a bench or a vice, so any suggestions would need to take that into consideration.

I'm also buying it for her, so the budget is not limitless.

Please help with a few ideas. Her knives are not expensive, so it blunts easily and sharpens quickly too. A few scratches on the blade face are not going to bother her.

User

Default Re: Suggestions needed for a sharpening system

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    My sister-in-law lives alone and is rather independent. She's now decided that she doesn't want to ask me to sharpen her knives anymore; she'd rather do it herself. She does not have a bench or a vice, so any suggestions would need to take that into consideration.

I'm also buying it for her, so the budget is not limitless.

Please help with a few ideas. Her knives are not expensive, so it blunts easily and sharpens quickly too. A few scratches on the blade face are not going to bother her.
    Fastest and cheapest would be some carbide pull through sharpeners. They work fine for normal kitchen knives.
    You can also buy her a quality knife steel. Once you know how to use it, few things are as convenient, fast and effective and you look cool as well.

Lansky make the carbide sharpeners and you can get them from the Gadget Shop in most large shopping centres. They have them in their Bedford Square and Eastgate Centre stores.

User

For that sort of use I bought a Warthog V-Sharp Curve which lives in the kitchen for the cheap and cheerful kitchen knives.
    Simple to use and not too expensive.

https://knifesharpners.co.za/product...v-sharp-curve/

I do not use that for any of my own knives though.

Banned

Since she is the diy-type and uses cheaper knives you can consider one of the smaller belt sander type sharpeners. Yes, they are horrible to a blade when used wrongly but with a little practice on an old knife she should be able to get a decent edge without ruining the blade in the first run. They are fast and efficient for her purposes.The trick with these machines is to barely let the metal touch the belt and remove very little metal at a time.

User

Ds, I only see them at R2500 a pop. That's too much. I don't think all her cutlery together is that much. To be honest, I've been looking at buying one for myself for butcher's knives, but I cannot afford it.

User

Smiths and Lansky make v-shape hand helds. I never use the carbide, just the ceramic. But if the blade is cheap and really blunt, then the carbide is ok. Just try not to use to much force and friction.

Then on occasional visits get the edge back with the right tool.

Banned

Ds, I only see them at R2500 a pop. That's too much. I don't think all her cutlery together is that much. To be honest, I've been looking at buying one for myself for butcher's knives, but I cannot afford it.
    Those are the big ones. I once saw a small one for R600 (?) at Due South in Klerksdorp. Otherwise a Warthog. They go for R450-R900 on takealot.

User

Get her a Warthog system, if finances permit the steel framed one. Easy and safe to use. The carbide is also replaceable so it's a longterm investment.

Banned

Ottimo (Model MTKN001) make a pull through type with 2 stones that can also sharpen scissors. Wife bought it at one of the chain stores.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast