User

Default 10 Feb Rope work and EDC Qualification

When: 10 February 2018
    Start: 07:00 (strictly!)
    Finish: +/-14:00
    Where: Funky Town

This Saturdays event will consist of rope work and EDC(Every Day Carry) pistol qualification.

In the morning there will be an opportunity to do some rifle practice. This is not required.

Afterwards Bushboy will demonstrate how to do basic rope work, like knots, making a harness and basic abseiling.

Next we will do our new EDC Qualification, which will test fighting with fists, knives and pistols.

We will also do some other pistol drills to practice and test pistol marksmanship.

It is required that all participants bring the following:
    • EDC Pistol + spare mag
    • An appropriate Pistol holster, Inside/Outside the waist band, as long as it can be concealed with a shirt or jacket.
    • minimum of a 100 pistol rounds
    • A knife. If the knife is not a folding knife, it should have a scabbard from which it can safely be drawn.
    • 3 x 2L bottles full of water (this is required!)
    • Anyone that has climbing rope and tie downs, please also bring them for the rope work. This can help speed things up
    • We will be in the sun, so bring a hat, sunscreen and water to stay hydrated.
    • R250 range fee for non-SAS members

PLEASE email me if you will be attending: It is going to be a busy day and I need to have confirmation of numbers by no later than next Wednesday. Do this to save the coordinators time and you disappointment.

>>>>> grimessa@gmail.com <<<<<<

Regards
    Grimes

User

Default Re: 10 Feb Rope work and EDC Qualification

*sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    *sigh*
    Is there something wrong?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
    Is there something wrong?
    Yes.

I won’t be able to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Oh, of course. I think this EDC qualification will be fun.
    See you next time

And of course, I won't be able to make it either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

The day started by opening with prayer and the normal safety briefing.

John was the only Level one attempt and after his gear was checked he set off on his 3.2km hike. While he was hiking the rest of us used the time to practise our rifle marksmanship from the 100m line. John finished his hike in quite a good time of 30 minutes and proceeded to shooting at 100m. Unfortunately he only had 3 hits on his first attempt and his shooting was hindered by malfunctions. It seemed like something was wrong with the gas system and his rifle would not cycle properly. On the 30s retry, the malfunctions wasted a lot of time and he was not able to make the 10 hits needed.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 16.22.20.jpg

After the rifle shooting, Bush Boy did a demonstration on basic harnesses and rope work. This was very interesting and certainly useful skills to have. We used the backstop to practice abseiling down the back. Bush Boy also showed us how to tie some of the most common and useful knots.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 16.22.22.jpeg

Next we set up to do new EDC standard. The standard consist of punching a boxing bag for 30 seconds, stabbing and cutting with an EDC knife and shooting 4 shots on each of the 4 targets. The standard required 3 attempts, however it took a bit longer than we expected and each of us only made 2 attempts. It is a very interesting drill and a lot of fun!

The times to complete the EDC standard were:

NAME Attemp 1 Attempt 2 AVERAGE
    John 45.98 57.02 51.5
    Bush Boy 51.5 50.65 51.08
    Box 61.9 56 58.95
    Potjie 78.31 62.36 70.34
    Betoger 48.51 47.36 47.94
    Grimes 45.12 46.76 45.94

Finally we did the "Dot Torture Drill" at 5m. This involves shooting at quite small target circles. This is an excellent drill to test hand gun fundamentals. I think it was an eye opener for everyone to see that we should brush up on these skills.

dot-torture-image.jpg

Overall it was a fun day and we learned a lot of useful skills.