Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Hunting/processing a Giraffe: suggestions/tips ?

Good day to all members. I need opinions, suggestions and tips from hunters who already hunted and processed a Giraffe. I am to hunt a Giraffe bull this coming July. This will be my first. I will use a 404 Jeffery , 400 gn Stewart core bonded bullet, at 2200f/s.
    I am purchasing a brand new chain saw, Johan Greyling suggested I fill it up with canola cooking oil to prevent motor oil on the meat..I will cut the carcass up in manageable hunks of meat and open the hunks of meat up to the bone to get the cold air of the cold room as quickly as possible deep into the meat...there will be a team of men skinning /processing the meat .
    I will be hanging the meat for at least two /thee days in the cold room before driving it to the butchery where they will take possession of the meat... naturally I will take the two fillets, all four leg bones for knife scales and the skin to trade for smaller tanned skins of just sell it to a taxidermy who is in need of such a skin..it will be a big bull in it`s prime..now I need you to fill in the gaps for me..what did I missed???

Banned

Default Re: Hunting/processing a Giraffe: suggestions/tips ?

Rather buy an electrical chainsaw that you can then always use for meat processing. No oil contamination possible if vegetable oil is used. The fat in the meat also tends to lubricate.

Get plenty of hands to work the meat. That amount of meat relates to at least 20 to 30 Impala that need to be cut up.

User

You already have the main item.... A chainsaw filled with canola oil.
    Getting through the breastbone without it will be painful.
    If you happen to have a spare truck with a 10ton crane on it, it helps with the loading and processing....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

My dad and a friend shared three giraffes during the mid 1980's and I tagged along on two of the three hunts. My information is therefore probably dated.

Dad used his 308 with 180gr Nosler Partitions for head shots. The easiest is when the giraffe is looking towards you. There is a bobble/knob/ridge from the brows down the nose, right between the eyes. The bullet should enter at the base of this knob.

Get some serious tackle along to butcher it. We were shown to pull the giraffe onto its back and fasten the legs to trees. Then get off the skin (good luck!) and remove the quarters. Then comes the stomach and thereafter the rib cage etc.

The neck - so we were told - is too full of sinews for proper use.

It is an adventure!

User

Thank you kindly members, your input is much appreciated..please keep it coming..

User

If you don't have that 10 ton crane available, would be nice to have a large tarpaulin to roll it onto to keep things clean.
    Extra knives or a sharpener will do well. That skin is thick and will take its toll on the knives.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    If you don't have that 10 ton crane available, would be nice to have a large tarpaulin to roll it onto to keep things clean.
    Extra knives or a sharpener will do well. That skin is thick and will take its toll on the knives.
    MyLani, thank you, yes ,I did not have a large tarpaulin on the list. Knifes /sharpeners are on the list..I am thinking of a battery powered baby grinder with a diamond cutting blade to do the first cuts along the legs and up to the neck, since I need to use the skin ...There is a back -actor /front loader available..this will be use full for lifting the heavy parts onto a trailer for the trip to the cold room.The aim is to cut out as many bones as possible and only take the meat for processing at a butchery. As pointed out the skin has to be taken to a taxidermy or to be sold.

User

Gert....The skin/cape,if you do not want it then try to find a taxidermist who is interested in purchasing it.

In all of the instances where our hunting client wanted a shoulder mount or a taxidermist wanted the cape/skin,we had the taxidermist come out to the farm with a skinning crew. We are always careful to shoot the giraffe in an accessible area and do recovery with a 6m flatbed trailer. These are the trailers used for vehicle transport,have double axles,loading ramps,a winch and are low to the ground.

This makes the recovery of the carcass a breeze and prevents hair damage associated with dragging the animal on the ground.

The reason we involve the taxidermist at farm level is for the prevention of hair slip. The skin is so thick in places that the normal salting process done on most game farms will not prevent hair slip or the hide becoming rotten.

User

Pre64, thank you kindly for a valuable input. This venture seems to be more difficult than anticipated

User

No difficulty Gert.

You have an awesome opportunity and all the planning and anticipation leading up to the hunt is part of the whole experience.
    I am sure you will be 100% as long as you know what to plan for.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast