Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting/processing a Giraffe: suggestions/tips ?

Seeing as you are taking the leg bones, treat yourself to the marrow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Seeing as you are taking the leg bones, treat yourself to the marrow.
    Tstone, thank you but I already had my first hart-attack..so no delicious bone marrow for me...

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    No difficulty Gert.

You have an awesome opportunity and all the planning and anticipation leading up to the hunt is part of the whole experience.
    I am sure you will be 100% as long as you know what to plan for.
    Pre64, I think the trick is to correlate my planning with the farm manager and his team to ensure a smooth hunt..

User

Gert , my Giraffe hunt was a walk and stalk for a particular old "stink bull" black in color .I used a .416 Rigby and chose to take a heart shot . The bull didn't expire immediately and the follow up shot was in the rear of the neck close to the base of the skull.

I can recommend a Giraffe hunt and look forward to harvesting another in the not to distant future.

Banned

Spoke to a friend of mine that has retrieved 4 hunted giraffe. His advice :-

1. Slaughter the beast in situ on the closest available reasonably flat surface. Picking it up and placing on a truck or such still makes for a long time period and difficult movement through narrow roads. Hair slip becomes a reality.
    2. Take along at least 4 Y-standards to knock into the ground to assist with tying down the legs and keeping them spread open. Bloudraad will help with tying the legs to the standards. Use a come-along to pull the legs open.
    3. Your tarpaulin will be handy to keep the area clear of sand and vegetation.
    4. Plenty sharp knifes or a dedicated sharpener.
    5. At least 4 skinners to spread the task and speed up the initial slitting of the skin.
    6. Power saw to cut bone. Electric or petrol driven - your choice. Vegie oil on blade.

User

I must add, this has been a very interesting thread. I never really thought shooting a giraffe had this much prep involved.

User

If the property regularly hunts giraffe they will or should be fairly set up. Chat to the manager. A mining on a tarp in place helps a lot if there is no access to a trailer/TLB etc.

User

Members, I really appreciate all your valuable input regarding the Giraffe hunt/meat processing. Thank you very much , please keep the excellent suggestions coming, I really am learning a lot from you.

User

In terms of knives and sharpening.

Buy a bunch of general carpet knives and blades, change blades quick and easy as you go. This works good on the skin, and you wont cry if the skinners break or take 1 or 2.

Cheap tarp, go to the local Co-Op and buy kuilvoer plastiek. Rolls come in 6 and 8m wide.

The one girafe I helped with we had a 4m 2 ton trailer lined with plactic. Carcass was cut on the spot, and pieces onto trailer. Had a generator with electric reciprocating saw.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I must add, this has been a very interesting thread. I never really thought shooting a giraffe had this much prep involved.
    It makes two of us... And they say hunting is fun????This really is shaping to be the most interesting thread I ever posted due to all the brilliant advice and information members submit...members thank you kindly again, it really is much appreciated ...every time I thought all advice and tips are given... another member give more incredible advice and tips ....this is really great...
    Would the practice to remove as many bones as possible aid in getting the meat to cool down faster in the cold room?????

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast