Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default SA Wingshooters worth joining?

G'day Folks

Im an avid clay shooter and have done a fair amount of wingshooting. I reside in Cape Town and would like to do a lot more wingshooting. I find it extremely hard to get info on wingshooting in the Cape area.

Ive been thinking of joining SA Wingshooters but at a rather steep joining and membership fee I would like to try and find out if its worth joining to have a better opportunity at finding good wingshooting areas and venues.

Default Re: SA Wingshooters worth joining?

When on the Clay range. You should ask the other shooters. This will be way cheaper to get hold of shooting spots.

You can PM me. I have a friend who frequently goes shooting in Phillipi on small holdings, he might be able to put you in touch with Phillipi farmer. Very cheap fee to pay the land owner.

User

Thanks Shooty, PM send

User

Join Wingshooters! They are a tremendous crowd and organise some 1000 member only shoots a year, countrywide.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Join Wingshooters! They are a tremendous crowd and organise some 1000 member only shoots a year, countrywide.
    ^^^ This!. My friends that have a lot more free time than I do are members. And they shoot often, at very nice venues. They are actually spoiled for choice down here in Gauteng. I am sure they are equally jacked up in the cape area.

Quote Originally Posted by BOEPENSIE View Post
    G'day Folks

Im an avid clay shooter and have done a fair amount of wingshooting. I reside in Cape Town and would like to do a lot more wingshooting. I find it extremely hard to get info on wingshooting in the Cape area.

Ive been thinking of joining SA Wingshooters but at a rather steep joining and membership fee I would like to try and find out if its worth joining to have a better opportunity at finding good wingshooting areas and venues.
    Hi BOEPENSIE.
    Simple, one word answer...Yes.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

Wingshooters are great and I like all they stand for and want to achieve. However, if you want to join them solely to get access to shooting venues in the Cape, you may be disappointed. Its ‘chalk and cheese’ comparing shooting venues they have access to in Gauteng vs the Cape.
    There’s a few community shoots (Francolin and Guinea fowl) to the benefit of various Round Table and church organisations, which is open to everybody. It's great that the farmers are opening up their properties to the benefit of these organisations.

User

Great organisation with great service and lots of shoots for members (Gauteng).

I pay monthly, makes it a bit more affordable.

cheers

User

Any Members of SA Wingshooters in the Cape Town area on here that I could contact?

Quote Originally Posted by BOEPENSIE View Post
    Any Members of SA Wingshooters in the Cape Town area on here that I could contact?
    My advice to you is to remember that there are many Wingshooter organizations other than SA Wingshooters who are also more active in Cape Town and surrounding areas as well as throughout South Africa.

Initially when I joined and started with SA Wingshooters the free advice, Shotgun shooting introduction and instruction and particularly Pigeon Shoots were free for their members however an opportunity was spotted to make money and now charging for Shotgun shooting introduction's and activities such as Pigeon Shoots have become the norm.

SA Wingshooters organised pigeon shoots require you as their member already paying very steep joining and annual membership fees to pay R200 additionally per day per pigeon shoot of which R100 goes to fellow Wingshooter members doing marshalling or shooting captain duties and a further R100 to the farmer who's farm you are utilizing to shoot his problem pigeons that is eating and destroying his crops does not sit right with me and many other members who have subsequently left SA Wingshooters because of it.

I know of Shooting Captains/ Marshalls making upwards of R2800 per day from SA Wingshooter members and getting to shoot for free on the day whilst all they do is collect the money from all the participating SA Wingshooter members.

There are however some farmers who did not expect any payment for shooting but marshals or shooting captains as they are called are still being used at their fees to
    supervise, collect the money and ensure that no non SA Wingshooters participate in their organised shoots.

I currently shoot in one of the local branches of SA HUNTERS and Game Conservation Association clubs and we shoot pigeons for free with the understanding from the land owner that we are offering an integral service to him/her free of charge and at the same time in return he is allowing us to practise our sport and have the opportunity to improve our shooting skills at no additional cost to anyone other than the normal ammunition and sundries that apply to shooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast