Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: SA Wingshooters worth joining?

This is such vital information. I think it's so very important that we limit the amount that organisations and individuals are able to take advantage of our fellow shooters just because they're new to the sport. On that, might be putting together a small guinea shoot in Lanseria next year on and around the family plaas. I'll keep spots open for GS shooters, but I'll confirm closer to the time.

User

Thanks for the replies Chaps. Highly appreciated!

User

I would also like to join a wingshooting group down in cape town, can anyone recommend such a group?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    My advice to you is to remember that there are many Wingshooter organizations other than SA Wingshooters who are also more active in Cape Town and surrounding areas as well as throughout South Africa.

Initially when I joined and started with SA Wingshooters the free advice, Shotgun shooting introduction and instruction and particularly Pigeon Shoots were free for their members however an opportunity was spotted to make money and now charging for Shotgun shooting introduction's and activities such as Pigeon Shoots have become the norm.

SA Wingshooters organised pigeon shoots require you as their member already paying very steep joining and annual membership fees to pay R200 additionally per day per pigeon shoot of which R100 goes to fellow Wingshooter members doing marshalling or shooting captain duties and a further R100 to the farmer who's farm you are utilizing to shoot his problem pigeons that is eating and destroying his crops does not sit right with me and many other members who have subsequently left SA Wingshooters because of it.

I know of Shooting Captains/ Marshalls making upwards of R2800 per day from SA Wingshooter members and getting to shoot for free on the day whilst all they do is collect the money from all the participating SA Wingshooter members.

There are however some farmers who did not expect any payment for shooting but marshals or shooting captains as they are called are still being used at their fees to
    supervise, collect the money and ensure that no non SA Wingshooters participate in their organised shoots.

I currently shoot in one of the local branches of SA HUNTERS and Game Conservation Association clubs and we shoot pigeons for free with the understanding from the land owner that we are offering an integral service to him/her free of charge and at the same time in return he is allowing us to practise our sport and have the opportunity to improve our shooting skills at no additional cost to anyone other than the normal ammunition and sundries that apply to shooting.

Your comments and views are not fair at all. Here's why and these statements are actually factual:
    1. SA Wingshooters Association is a registered non-profit organisation and is a SAPS accredited Hunting & Sport Shooting association primarily. All their shoot venues are as an extra membership benefit, etc. so shoot venues are not the main reason people join;
    2. Of all their shoot venues, only one or two venues are run/managed by shoot captains. There is a simple reason – the shooting rights to these venues were obtained from the landowner on condition that there will be a shoot captain present at all times, as the landowner does not want any person shooting or trespassing on his land without supervision. Many indiscriminate hunters also leave dead birds and spent shell cases lying about, and shoot captains prevent this from happening almost 100% of the time;
    3. Shoot captains at SA Wingshooters are regular voluntary members, who offer up their time to host a shoot venue for other members. I cannot see why they should not get a small fee for their service? Do you work for free?
    4. The SA Wingshooters offer all types of shooting, from free pigeon and dove shoots, to upland gamebird and waterfowl venues and shoots that cost money, depending on what the farmer wants to charge. It all depends on the level of what a member is looking for regarding service, guidance, food, accommodation, etc.
    5. Of more than 200 venues country-wide, and more that 2000 combined shooting days offered, only two (2) venues are run by shoot captains – at the demand/instruction of the land owner.
    So, members of SA Wingshooters can enjoy wingshooting in all provinces, from FREE OF CHARGE up to R4500.00 per weekend per gun, all dependent on what he/she wants. There are venues to suit everyone. SA Wingshooters Association does not receive one cent income from any of the shoots hosted and all is offered for member benefit. These are the facts, and not opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2