Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

I dont know much about hunting handguns, would like to give it a bash some day, reading on different forums generally the .44 magnum gets mentioned. The 10mm often gets debated and obviously isn't in the same category in terms of ballistics, however a name kept popping up when i was reading up on hunting with the 10mm. Razor Dobbs, apparently the first person to shoot Cape Buffalo with the 10mm handgun(Dan Wesson).He uses 200gr hardcast bullets in his 10mm.
    http://razordobbsalive.com/razor-dob...stol-interview
    So where does the 10mm fit in? Is it adequate for handgun hunting as seen in these videos? Have longer barreled models like the G40MOS increased the capability of the 10mm?

Banned

Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

AFAIK hunting with a pistol is illegal in SA, if memory serves correct it is due to the semi-auto action.

User

My primary use for a 10mm (G20) is for administering a finishing shot or shots to game hunted with a rifle.

The 10mm cartidge is quite capable as a primary hunting handgun, being comparable to the .41 Magnum in terms of terminal ballistics. Bullet choice is important. I would rate a heavy hardcast lead with big meplat as the best choice, but depending on the intended game, other bullets would work well too. I would not go for the really big amimals with a 10mm, the 44 Mag and larger revolver rounds are better for that.

As far as hunting guns go, the various 6" barreled pistols should work great. G40MOS would be a good choice. Tanfoglio used to make a 10mm Hunter model, sold as the EEA series in the US, that would be decent as well. Any 6"+ 1911 would not be out of place either. Then we have the revolvers. A S&W 610 or Ruger Super Redhawk would be very usefull.

Do check the legality of using a semi-auto fire arm for hunting purposes at the locations you hunt. There may be restrictions, hence the mentioning of the revolvers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    AFAIK hunting with a pistol is illegal in SA, if memory serves correct it is due to the semi-auto action.
    Depends on the specific province's laws and regs. Most have exceptions to the rule under certain conditions. Make doubly sure before venturing out.

The 10mm auto is the ballistic equivalent of .357 magnum, excluding the nit-picking.

If you can hunt it with a .357 magnum, you can hunt it with a 10mm auto. Theoretically.

In real life, factory 10mm auto ammo is for self defence, which is not great for hunting.

Hard cast lead is better.

Longer barrel can help you get more fps, you'll have to experiment with different powders.

Hopefully Ruger gets moving soon with the 10mm PC Carbine.

Banned

Most hunters here in the US who use a 10 mm for hunting hunt deer with it. This fella used it for a nilgai and wildebeest which are tough animals to down with rifle cartridges. I checked with the King Ranch in south Texas about their nilgai hunts. I wanted to use a Remington XP-100 pistol in .358 Winchester. The fellow told me that they don't allow any handguns to be used and only certain rifle calibers.
    If you have lots of money and guarantee that you will pay for all wounded animals, I'm sure some high fenced ranch will let you try to use a 10mm. However, it is inadequate for most game larger than deer, impala, reedbok, etc. IMO.

User

10mm on buffalo??? That's insane, so I could then hunt buffalo with a 308 as well? I wonder how many animals this guy loses and obviously will not be shown.

I tried to seperate the issues in the OP, and respond with ballistic info.

But the videos raise another issue. The actor is an irresponsible hunter, and what he does for YouTube views and revenue is not a reflection of ballistics.

People are on record for taking really big game with very tiny calibers, which has very little to with what is suitable.

Many people have also been killed by non-dangerous game using adequate rifle calibers.

User

His name is Razor?? Really?? That in itself is enough to irritate me.

I can only echo the sentiment of 414gates on YouTube views.

To answer the OP"s question as to where the 10mm fits in....Let me be fascetious and say right between the 9mm and 45.

A handgun pokes a hole in an animal,period. The bigger the bullet,the bigger the hole.You need the bullet to poke a hole in vital organs so penetration is critical. In handguns,especially on bigger animals,you just not have decent enough ballistics to achieve any meaningfull bullet expansion and still have penetration.
    Soooo...to have any chance of killing a big animal,you need to use a heavy as possible,hard bullet that will hold together to prevent expansion and thus retain momentum and penetration to reach the vital organs to make a caliber size hole.

A handgun,in any caliber is not powerfull,even the 44 magnum is puny compared to the most mundane centre fire rifle calibers.

To state..i shot a Buff with a 44 or i shot an elephant with a 50S&W equates to.......I am a wanker and look how stupid i am.

Sorry yes...you can hunt with a handgun....just be fully aware of its limitations.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Sorry yes...you can hunt with a handgun....just be fully aware of its limitations.
    I have killed a fully grown, injured, eland bull with a .357" magnum revolver. Because it was what I had with me.

Years ago, I met a man who had killed hundreds, literally, of buffalo with a 7.62x51 rifle. Because that was what he had available.

These days I try not to hunt an animal with a gun that can not be used to complete the hunt should something go wrong with the initial shot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast