Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

We need to look at what wounding is. It's been discussed extensively on this forum before but let me reiterate the primary aspects of bullet wounding potential.
    1: The size of the permanent cavity.
    2: The size of the temporary cavity.
    3: The penetration depth.
    Not a quantification of energy.

As Pre64 stated (and I agree with a lot of it), but IN MY OPINION the 10mm does not fall between the 9mm and 45acp. While a 45 acp 230 grain HST can plow a 1 inch hole in gelatin while the temporary cavity is relatively small because of the low terminal velocity. It also can't penetrate very far at just making FBI penetration spec. BUT the 10mm somewhat rectifies that. It has the velocity for that much bigger temporary cavity as well as a decent expanded diameter of over 0.7 inches, it also has a much better penetration depth. *

So what I'm trying to say is that increased velocity does not equal increased expansion and decreased penetration. At least not in modern bullet designs. And I think that the 10mm shines in a light where no other, especially semi-auto caliber stands. Although still not appropriate at all for the game in those videos, in my opinion.

*data cited is from YouTuber: tnoutdoors9's results on gelatin.

User

Default Re: 10MM for handgun hunting, where does it fit in?

T...litterally 1000's of both buffalo and elephant have been culled with 7.62x51 and 3006,agreed.
    As you would agree,neither would be your choice for these animals.

Re-reading my post,it looks like i came across very anti handgun hunting...i am not...and have shot quite a few antelope with,mostly a 44.

Theron...I said that the 10mm falls between the 9mm and 45 in the context of the size of the hole made by the bullet.
    What i also said was that a handgun [or rifle bullet] will penetrate less the more the bullet expands [larger surface area,more resistance]

On large animals,penetration is needed with a handgun bullet and not expansion to the detriment of penetration,hense the bigger the bullet the better. I do agree with you when it comes to specifics in your comparison between the 10mm and 45 acp, but Fbi penetration tests mean little in the hunting envirement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    T...litterally 1000's of both buffalo and elephant have been culled with 7.62x51 and 3006,agreed.
    As you would agree,neither would be your choice for these animals.

Re-reading my post,it looks like i came across very anti handgun hunting...i am not...and have shot quite a few antelope with,mostly a 44.
    I fully agree with your initial post.

User

Thank you all for the input. So should some one want a dedicated hunting handgun, the 10mm would not be the calibre to look at due to its limitations on bigger game.

User

10 mm is used by Danish Police in Greenland for defence against Polar Bear attacks. One would think if it can stop a bear it could stop a lion or other large mammal as well.

User

I wouldnt want less then a semi auto 12g full of slugs to try stop a polar bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    10 mm is used by Danish Police in Greenland for defence against Polar Bear attacks. One would think if it can stop a bear it could stop a lion or other large mammal as well.

You can chase off a polar bear with firecrackers.

Shooting it with a 10mm will just piss it off.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DstUrges View Post
    I wouldnt want less then a semi auto 12g full of slugs to try stop a polar bear
    If you put a deep penetrating ( fmj or hard cast) 10mm bullet in a bear, or a lion's, brain it will die. If it dies it will stop. The difficult part is hitting a large, aggressive and moving animal in the brain, especially with a handgun.

Shooting a bear anywhere else with a 10mm is likely to get you killed even if you do happen to hit a vital organ.

User

10 mm is used by Danish Police in Greenland for defence against Polar Bear attacks.
    For good reason.

In Greenland, they are issued 30-06 rifles.
    So when the 30-06 fails, which it will, the G20 is to shoot yourself.

User

I can emphatically state that no polar bear in Greenland or anywhere else has ever been issued with a 3006.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast