Sec16 12ga also been approved.

User

Default Re: Section 15 Motivation??

Good news indeed. Congrats

User

And now for the cards😔

Hi, congrats on your FA approval, but then how was the motivation like for sec15, could you share...? Thinking of of going for semi-auto 9mmP handgun under sec15. Please advise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by lulapew View Post
    Hi, congrats on your FA approval, but then how was the motivation like for sec15, could you share...? Thinking of of going for semi-auto 9mmP handgun under sec15. Please advise.
    I was assisted by my range officer and did the following for my motivation:
    * Attached a covering letter giving my history with FAs and explaining why I am interested in sports shooting
    * Referenced the IDPA division I intend on shooting (ESP) and attached some information about the division, the various stage layouts with pictures
    * Gave a history & overview of the handgun and explained why it is suitable for the division (reliable, parts are available, ergonomic, easy to modify etc.)
    * Gave a history & overview of the 9mm round and explained why it is suitable for the division (low cost, plentiful etc.)
    * Attached some "technical" diagrams of the pistol and 9mm round
    * Attached my club membership certificate
    * Attached reference letters from my RO and a fellow club member
    * Signed declaration at the end of the motivation

In terms of the Act practically none of the above is required for S15 but my DFO informed me that without club membership and a strong motivation my app would probably be rejected. Also it seems that nowadays without a signature on your motivation your application will be refused.

User

Quote Originally Posted by lulapew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
    I was assisted by my range officer and did the following for my motivation:
    * Attached a covering letter giving my history with FAs and explaining why I am interested in sports shooting
    * Referenced the IDPA division I intend on shooting (ESP) and attached some information about the division(specific rules to support your gun choice).
    * Handgun and explained why it is suitable for the division (meets division requirements, reliable, parts are available)
    *Explain why current weapons cannot be used.
    * Calibre and explained why it is suitable for the division (makes required pf, low cost, low recoil etc.)
    * Attached my club membership certificate
    * Signed declaration at the end of the motivation

In terms of the Act practically none of the above is required for S15 but my DFO informed me that without club membership and a strong motivation my app would probably be rejected. Also it seems that nowadays without a signature on your motivation your application will be refused.
    Not an attack on you Nina, helping to streamline the app.
    I edited the list a bit, please don't send testimonials, it will be the next requirement.
    The CFR are desk clerks, they don't care about firearm history. Explain why the gun fits the purpose, not how many navy seals used it to kill bin laden.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Not an attack on you Nina, helping to streamline the app.
    I edited the list a bit, please don't send testimonials, it will be the next requirement.
    The CFR are desk clerks, they don't care about firearm history. Explain why the gun fits the purpose, not how many navy seals used it to kill bin laden.
    No offense taken. Was responding to Lula's request for people to share their successful S15 motivations. In no way was I saying that everything I included was a hard requirement which is why I explicitly said that practically none of it was necessary in terms of the Act.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
    No offense taken. Was responding to Lula's request for people to share their successful S15 motivations. In no way was I saying that everything I included was a hard requirement which is why I explicitly said that practically none of it was necessary in terms of the Act.
    I know you weren't implying it was mandatory, just the endorsement letter for sec 16 handguns was never a thing until people starting including them because "it increased your chance of success".
    That was at a time where CFR was dishing out licences and not giving the silly refusals we see now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2