Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Let’s discuss the 375H&H. Without emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    JD, confidence plays a huge part in hunting.

Now it must be two ways, ability and equipment.
    If you don’t have the ability then you will never be confident, so no use debating that side.
    I think what the 375 does for those that CAN shoot, is knowing with a good bullet his combo simply cannot fail. In short DG aside, if you go hunting your rifle can do what needs done.
    If one explores that further, then in some way it does empower you, makes you mentally more prepared for the hunt.

You don’t often read on this forum where someone asks is my 375 enough gun, why, because it is.
    But you get a LOT of questions in the smaller cals, asking is my combo enough for BWB and eland, if you ask that question then you are not confident in your combo.
    I have to agree with you Messor.
    Practice makes perfect and that cements your confidence.

just thought I had to put it out there that the 375's is not some sort of miracle cure for poor shot placement or bad bullet selection. Sure, it packs a descent punch.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

User

It's a want rather than a need choice. Precious few need anything upwards of a .308 cal.

There is nothing wrong with wanting. I think the 375 popularity stems from the versatility, affordability, availability and the fact that it is relatively mildly recoiling when configured on a decent stock and weight ratio platform.

Step up to the .400 caliber and above class rifles and it changes the ball game.

Variety is the spice of life and how fortunate are we that we are spoilt for choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    But you get a LOT of questions in the smaller cals, asking is my combo enough for BWB and eland, if you ask that question then you are not confident in your combo.
    In fairness, confidence is generally based on experience, and if someone asks this question he hasn't had experience of using the tools in the described application. However the nice (and at the same time, risky) thing, is that one person's confidence can also be based on the experience of another, especially if the second person is one who's opinion the first person trusts. On this forum there are many knowledgable and trustworthy contributors. Their opinion may often be the deciding factor which steers someone with less experience in a certain direction, hopefully with the outcome of increasing both his experience and confidence.

User

Pirate I think there is some truth in that but there is no substitute for real experience, knowing your rifle and ability.
    I have seen a guy missing an Eland completely at 50 meters, standing square on with a borrowed rifle.
    A guy I use to hunt with, shot a Buff at under 100m, quarter away, through one lung and nicking the opposite side lung, exiting the chest on the left front.. The Buff was found 2 weeks later drinking water.

Edit: both cases was a 375 H&H

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    Pirate I think there is some truth in what but there is no substitute for real experience, knowing your rifle and ability.
    I have seen a guy missing an Eland completely at 50 meters, standing square on with a borrowed rifle.
    A guy I use to hunt with, shot a Buff at under 100m, quarter away, through one lung and nicking the opposite side lung, exiting the chest on the left front.. The Buff was found 2 weeks later drinking water.

Edit: both cases was a 375 H&H

Completely agree, and my reference is not wrt confidence in taking the shot, but specifically confidence in the cartride/bullet combo, given that a sensible shot is provided.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    In fairness, confidence is generally based on experience, and if someone asks this question he hasn't had experience of using the tools in the described application. However the nice (and at the same time, risky) thing, is that one person's confidence can also be based on the experience of another, especially if the second person is one who's opinion the first person trusts. On this forum there are many knowledgable and trustworthy contributors. Their opinion may often be the deciding factor which steers someone with less experience in a certain direction, hopefully with the outcome of increasing both his experience and confidence.
    Pirate

The best hunter and shot I know, with much more experience than you can believe, I won't trust to give sensible advice.
    That is because he is shaped by his experience and abilities, which is far above the average hunter.

But he trusts me to do it.

With some of the PH guys here you can see they have learned to separate their own experiences from the needs of the clients. Meaning they know what can be done, but advocate something else, something that can fit the average Joe.

That is why I am so glad I am not a PH, because I don't have the patience for it.

I hunt PG with my 404 Jeffery, and have shot more animals with it than any other rifle I have owned.

At just over 900 shots I feel confident with my equipment.

But, I know that if I can hunt PG with it, I am accustomed to it when hunting DG.

So be it from bushpigs over hounds, to warthogs in the bushveld. My 404 is my go to gun...

Same can be said for guys believing in their 375s

User

Messor, I get where you're coming from but what you describe is not something nebulous, we see it expressed in word here often. Generally along the lines of "yes it can be done but..." or "I have taken such&such a shot but in general..." or "load the cartridge with premium bullet, and make sure of your shot..." or sometimes just "no, it's too marginal".

Whoever asks the question also has a responsibility to gauge the answers and make his decisions. But the answers give additional data points around an unknown, which help define the picture just that little bit clearer. And a clearer picture results in a more confident person.

User

DWB...It took you 900 shots hunting to get confident with your 404.

Hell....you need a 375.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    DWB...It took you 900 shots hunting to get confident with your 404.

Hell....you need a 375.
    Nah, lets not get into that :D :D

It did take a 100 or so shots to get comfortable :D

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast