Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Banned

Default Re: Let’s discuss the 375H&H. Without emotion

Have a look at these videos where a 375 is used to hunt with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to caliber size, meaning somewhere along the line it doesn’t matter how big the caliber is the terminal effect on the animal is more or less the same. Being one of those people that closely inspect my kills, how long the animal takes to go down, and the damage to the vitals, I can attest to this first han
    When shot on the lungs there is no clear pattern of going down faster between a 222, 243, 270, 308 or 338. I found this very interesting because if you put the first and last bullet next to each other there is a remarkable difference. The trick is bullets have a specific function, to destroy vitals, and how animals react when shot is also very hard to predict, like a bwb running much the better with a hole through the heart.

What makes the comparison more difficult between calibers, is the fact that the 300gr pmp softpoint for example is known for failures, where I would trust a barnes in my 270 over it any day of the week for penetration. And even if you use a premium in the 375 it changes nothing, since you already have adequate penetration in the smaller cal, which is cheaper and much more pleasant to shoot. I for example was under no illusion about this fact when I bought my 338, I bought a bigger cal because I wanted one, period.

I mean think about it, the reputation of the 375 is based on what, how people use it today, no ways.
    More animals have been shot in a 375 with softpoint bullets than will ever be shot with premiums, hence in theory you will see better penetration and bullet integrity from smaller medium cals today than with the results that made the 375’s reputation. Hunting is all about how it makes us feel, that is why special bonds are made between people and rifles, including cartridges. You cannot wish this fact away hence emotion will always come to play when talking calibers(read cartridges). For example myself I find it extremely annoying when someone wants to buy a 375H&H, why, the 375 Ruger is a much better design, then people bring stuff into the conversation like “because classic” and whatnot.

But it’s how humans operate, must make peace with that, hunting itself basically just requires skill, stuff like cartridges is novelties.
    One of your better "all encompassing" posts, I tried to find something to add but............
    wonder if they argued about size of rocks and sticks used for hunting 100 000 years ago ??

Calibre may make little difference soft skin animals as the skin barely presents any resistance to a high velocity projectile, but on tough skin animals its a different story.

Why is it so hard to understand with regards to personal preference? Get over the fact some some people like the .375H&H and some like it for the "old school romantic", quiet what is so wrong about that?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

There's a good post on the Big bore rifles Africa page on Facebook on the versatility of the 375 and a management hunt was mentioned where 6 buffalo were shot, distances sub 50 to 100m. All 6 did not require follow up shots. Two eland bulls were also shot at around 150m and 175m. I do know the shooter in question, CZ550 , swift A frame 300gr were used. He owns two larger calibres, a 458 and a double(can't recall calibre), but still chose the 375 as he knew it would be a mixed distance/animal hunt. Obviously A PHs calibre requirements to "stop charges" are different to the average hunter .

User

Treeman, I doubt they ever argued the size of stones 100 000BC. When dropped bigger was better. No recoil. Flat trajectory. Minimal meat damage. The puny 7mm's would simply stand in awe of the rock stars.

User

Messor, you are doing it again....trampling on our beloved traditional classic caliber rifle by comparing a Ruger 375 with the one and only .375 H&H Magnum... The disadvantage of a .375 Ruger is it`s ammo when hunting in Africa...not many Kukka shops sell .375 Ruger ammo...while I believe you will get .375 H&H Magnum ammo in most shops in rural Africa ....but there is an advantage to using a .375 Ruger....I can fire form 8x68S brass from it... Next you are going to mention the 6.5 Creedmoore is better than the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser ???

User

,375 Caliber is great caliber in any brand name ...not many other calibers who has achieved what this caliber did from many, many years ago to what it still will be doing two hundred years into the future for sure...any make, any brand in a .375 caliber is a great designed caliber ...

User

Gert, other than .375 Win!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Messor, you are doing it again....
    Gert

When was the last time I commented in this thread

Seems the trauma I caused you at some point was quite severe...........

User

Messor, good to hear from you again..

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9