Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Why advertise/sell items not in stock?

The reality though is if you are offering something for sale it should be available.
    We take too lightly the customer and his money. I must be honest and say that if this happens with online shopping I don't go back either to the physical store or the online store.
    Its about the principle of making sure what you are offering is what customer is ordering.
    If you cant get the system right then don't offer the product.
    Then only offer what you KNOW will be in stock.
    Otherwise its to easy to say sorry boet there's no stock but let me refund you.
    Its not good enough!!

User

I was in contact with them today and was asked to resubmit the proof of payment. I am currently waiting to see how this pans out.

User

Are you referring to EOA, Ripcord, or simply generalising?

Our website happens to clearly state when a product is not in stock, should it still be listed on the site. Mostly we try to delist products if sold out, but even so it has happened that an item gets sold in the morning and an online order comes through a few hours later.
    I’m sure honourable shops aren’t trying to deceive their clients.

Some “online only” shops however...

GICS and iWarehouse are past examples of such sorry behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Our website happens to clearly state when a product is not in stock, should it still be listed on the site. Mostly we try to delist products if sold out, but even so it has happened that an item gets sold in the morning and an online order comes through a few hours later.

As a retailer I understand the absolute necessity of systems that work.
    If your online system is not live with your ordering system then take it down.
    What is the point in having a delayed ordering/ sales system?
    Except to scrimp on costs at the expense of shoppers.
    For far too long have we as the shopper put up with lame excuses over service.
    That is how I see it.
    Get the system right or don't use it!

User

Things do go bump in the night, but just be honest with the client and come to an agreement. Don't now play hide and seek.

User

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Unfortunately there are shops who play difficult.

You should see how S&O tried to screw me when I tried to cancel an order where their item listed and the actual item didn't match, and they couldn't supply the item I had wanted.
    They at first refused to refund me, and insisted on merely crediting my account.
    After a bit of a fight I finally got my money back.

User

quite often, it's "click bait"

sad to say, its too common in almost every store, even physical stores advertise knowing they don't have stock.

very often, it's priced very low and, when you get to the store, there's nothing in stock - when in reality, they have stock hidden away in their stores. As soon as the special period is over, the stock comes out onto the shelves.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    As a retailer I understand the absolute necessity of systems that work.
    If your online system is not live with your ordering system then take it down.
    What is the point in having a delayed ordering/ sales system?
    Except to scrimp on costs at the expense of shoppers.
    For far too long have we as the shopper put up with lame excuses over service.
    That is how I see it.
    Get the system right or don't use it!
    You're spot on. I think that a lot of the traditional businesses that are now coming over to the digital space don't fully appreciate just how important it is to have properly functioning systems.
    They're viewing online sales as a by-the-way or nice-to-have which explains
    1) the lack of attention to a clean, usable UI/UX
    2) the attitude of the staff in the brick-and-mortar towards the online aspect of the business.

In effect, it's almost like they're trying to dabble with online shopping by throwing a few coins at some backyard developer and waiting to see what comes of it rather than approach it with a well-thought out strategy.

With regards to items showing as in-stock and the like it's more likely a case of incompetence rather than malice.

User

The big issue I have found with multiple stores with their online system is that the staff themselves do not know how to use it.
    It is linked to the live stock system and yes, issues can creep in or stock count loaded incorrectly. But almost 90% of the time you have an issue with an online order and stock it is because of some bloke that "kept it aside for Piet who is coming tomorrow" but didn't book it out on the system. If someone advertises and did not have stock when that ad was placed they can get into deep trouble with the CPA.

I bought a TV once on special online from a retailer. And when I got there to pick it up, no stock. Found out they haven't had stock of this item since the last time they ran the special and ran the special again. Called up the CPA complaints line. Two days later, upgraded to a smart TV of about R3k. Don't fall for these tricks guys.

User

I really hope you didn't order from Tactical Distributors SA...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast