Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Old shotguns and new powders.

BBCT- i did read that thread and according the "NP" and crown or "Nitro proof" i am fresh outta luck.

The gun is a Bentley and playfair so it would have gone through the Birmingham proof house.

The pics I have if the proof marks are not great so I will have to pop into the shop and take some better ones.

Rick I did the bell test and it is like music to the ears.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Could one test it with NDT equipment?
    Technically you could but I suspect that interpreting the results might be difficult. I am certain that one would pick up voids & inclusions even in perfectly serviceable barrels of that age purely as part & parcel of manufacturing techniques of the time. One would then be left with the problem of deciding what level of imperfections is acceptable. The expertise & experience to interpret those results in the context of shotgun barrels certainly exists but probably not locally in SA so why go to all that trouble when you can do a test with a screwdriver handle in 20 seconds?

Banned

I read somewhere that a US company produced nitro loads which duplicated black powder performance.

User

Also remember to have the chambers measured. My Sauer and Sohn 1921 SxS chamber only takes 65mm 12ga. And then pick a soft load.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    BBCT- i did read that thread and according the "NP" and crown or "Nitro proof" i am fresh outta luck.

The gun is a Bentley and playfair so it would have gone through the Birmingham proof house.

The pics I have if the proof marks are not great so I will have to pop into the shop and take some better ones.

Rick I did the bell test and it is like music to the ears.
    Then you have answered your own question and my recommendation is is don't do it!

Many Nitro Proofed Damascus barreled shotguns have not withstood prolonged use of low pressure Nitro shells, so I don't think it's worth taking the risk on one that has not been proofed.

Proof testing old black powder guns with nitro loads does NOT make them stronger, probably the opposite.

Peter

User

Who said it did?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Contact Finkelstein. He bought 16ga and might know more.
    Magtech makes 12, 16, 20 and 24gauge brass cases. I use 24gauge to form 450/577 cases.
    It is on the shelf at Kloppers in Bloemfontein. Problem is you would need a historic reloading set to crimp the brass close.
    Have been a longterm goal for me to one day reload Blackpowder shotgun ammo for my Piccadilly side by side underlever.
    I am currently in Bloemfontein, so will go pass Kloppers this week and check the price.

Banned

Why damage the brass cases with a crimp. Use a thin paper wad and seal with candle wax or similar.

User

Its a roll crimp over a carton plug.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast