Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default When the alarm goes off

My alarm sometimes goes off in the middle of the night and I will first check which zone was triggered on the keypad, silent the alarm and then go check. Now most of the time this is a false alarm and all is good. (PIR gets triggered for who knows what)

But this got me thinking. If the alarm gets triggered would it be better to let it go crazy while you first do a sweep or first silence the alarm and then sweep?

Here is my thoughts and why I am asking this question. If BG is in your house and you check the zone so you have an idea where the he is or where the point of entry was. Now you turn the alarm off and mr BG knows you are awake and most probably on the way.

If you leave it so that the siren goes mad mr BG wont know but your hearing will be compromised due to the noise but then again so will he's.

So I would like to know your thoughts on this and how you all react to an alarm?

User

Default Re: When the alarm goes off

Depends on your situation. Do you have to go fetch kids or something when the alarm goes off? If not, I would silence the alarm from he bedroom so that I can hear for any movement etc. If you hear anything you can call armed response/police while you stay in bedroom, secure that. Let the cops or armed response check the house. Don't be one of those guys who goes out looking for trouble.

Obviously the guy or guys breaking in could have very quickly changed position since triggering your alarm.

User

You could obviously also keep an eye on the alarm panel and see if any other zones light up.

User

CCTV cameras.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo16 View Post
    You could obviously also keep an eye on the alarm panel and see if any other zones light up.
    I actually do this and should have mentioned it as this will be a good indicator that there is someone in the house.

And as for my situation I do not have kids in the house.

Also put in motion sensor lights. Not expensive and can be self fitted.
    This has the effect of causing some disorientation for the BG's.
    I don't have this in the bed room though.
    You can also put in sensor driven smoke but I opted not to go this route.
    My jack Russell sleeps in our room and he hears things way before the alarm goes off.

User

CCTV x2.
    I have 5 cameras outside my house and 3 cameras in the house aiming at all entrances and corridors.
    The alarm goes off and I first switch the monitor next to my bed, make sure it's clear, disarm the alarm and finally do a sweep in the house while the wife keeps an eye on the cameras.
    I have no kids, so can't mention on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    CCTV cameras.
    This is the ultimate goal I think. Newly getting into this alarm thing, it would be handy being able to see what’s going on without having to walk in to anything.

I instinctively switch off and check the panel. I get very few false alarms though. My Takex in the front does catch a few visitors out though.

User

I turn off and then immediately reset before I do anything else. This lets me hear if anything is going on and a second trigger indicates something which needs investigating (how ever you choose to do this).

User

Turn off, re-arm, wife grabs kids and all move to main bedroom. Wife and kids in the ensuite and myself covering the door while waiting for armed response.

Priority is family, possessions can be replaced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast