Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: When the alarm goes off

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    I turn off and then immediately reset before I do anything else. This lets me hear if anything is going on and a second trigger indicates something which needs investigating (how ever you choose to do this).
    This is the same approach that we use. This way, if another beam/sensor near to the first one is then triggered, then you know that something is up and can then initiate your family's response procedure (and, of course, ask that the AR attend at the scene).

User

I had this exact scenario play out for real couple of weeks ago. Alarm went off just after midnight, took me a few seconds till covering the passage with flashlight and gun in hand. My wife knows the drill and she calls out the zone and then deactivates the alarm. Move down the hall way, wife secure the kids behind me. We have treli-doors isolating the living area from all other parts of the house. Armed response shows up and I move down the hall way, open the treli-doors and front door for armed response. They forced open one of the aluminum windows in our dining room which in turn set off the alarm, he still climbed in and grabbed my laptop from the table all in under 20 to 30 secs.

Next step is to get CCTV at strategic places and treli-door in front of the dining room windows. I am still mulling the fact that if I actually went down to the end of the hall way the moment the alarm went off, I am sure I would have caught him inside the house. In hind sight I am glad I didn't and rather secured the kids and covered the passage..... not a nice wake up call and the wife and girls still rattled.

User

Thank for all the info. The turn off and reset immediately is a very smart. Will be using that method in the future.

Long term is to get CCTV as this will make it easier to assess the situation from a safe position.

Do a "sweep" (inside or outside) and die! A late (very) neighbour of ours heard a noise outside, opened the back door and fell down dead with a hole between his eyes.

Number one priority - look after number 1 and family.

Peter

User

Any recommendations for CCTV cameras installation guru in Pretoria?

Last guys I allowed in our house to install alarm system tried to steal a laptop and a wallet which was in a drawer in a work desk. Stashed it all outside in the garden ready to collect that night.

Got a big surprise when he jumped the wall and POPO was waiting patiently eating his midnight snack. One worker(BG) arrested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nowon View Post
    Any recommendations for CCTV cameras installation guru in Pretoria?

Last guys I allowed in our house to install alarm system tried to steal a laptop and a wallet which was in a drawer in a work desk. Stashed it all outside in the garden ready to collect that night.

Got a big surprise when he jumped the wall and POPO was waiting patiently eating his midnight snack. One worker(BG) arrested.
    The guy installing your alarm system had long fingers? Quite ironic!
    Was it a private guy or a contractor for an Armed Response company?

User

Private company but we have had our fair amount of problems with Armed response techies too in KZN for our holiday house.
    Alarm is not functioning. So they say they need to replace the main alarm board as it is not working and then low and behold when I go down there I take the board in to the agents to test and all is working perfectly. I now have two main alarm boards that are functioning that never needed to be replaced.
    We have a new armed response now.

Banned

Security start with you! Think out the box. Each persons security situation differs from the next guy. Never leave the security guy alone in your house. Security personal are not trained properly and are underpaid. I have seen security and police make things disappear from homes. From wine to condoms. Most alarm technicians receives on the job training by people that don't know the difference between AC and DC.

Install IP cameras that you can monitor via your cellphone or laptop. This will help you to scan your home before you arrive and keep an eye on your domestic, garden amd security services etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2