Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Handling of a loaded weapon

Hi All.

Just wanted to get opinions on an incident during the week.
    Went to a well known Gun Store on Thursday to get so items, as well as advice on some work I needed done on my firearm.The guy that attended to me was very helpful.I had to show Him my firearm, in order to find out about some work I needed done.I made my intentions quite clear as I upholstered my firearm and proceeded to unload it in a safe direction.He then stated that I souls have handed my loaded firearm over to Him, and He would have unloaded it for Me.(Firearm safety 101 Never handed a loaded firearm over.)

Surely this is not correct.The way I see it My firearm is my responsibility and not His.If an accidental discharge were to occur I would have to account for it ? !!!!!

Please provide your opinions and excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes.

Thanks All .

User

Your weapon your respnsibility no matter where you are.

User

Did you ask\say you were going to unload too? IMO if he wanted to unload it himself he should have told you. Last time I asked the guy is it OK if I unholster and unload he said "As long as you don't shoot me :)" so I unholstered, unloaded in a safe direction then field stripped pistol and handed the slide to him. No problems.

As far as I am concerned most (all?) gun shops need a safe area where you can unload your fire arm if needed. Ultimately, I agree, it is your responsability to make sure it is safe ...

User

The whole process gives me the willies. I hate hearing guys who I don't know from a bar of soap racking guns next to me. I understand the gunshop's logic. Many guys gun handling skills are so poor and there have be countless ND's while unloading weapons. I won't hand my loaded firearm to ANYONE. If I need it checked out by a smith, I unload it before I get out the car. I just wish gunshops had a safe box for performing the procedure

User

The vast majority of gunshops want to unload the gun for you. Partially to stop potential robbers handling loaded guns and mostly to stop some idiots from shooting other patrons or staff.
    Last edited by BigT; 20-06-2010 at 08:10.

A small safe box would be a good idea, especially for those numbskulls who cant operate thier weapons safely.

Best option is to unload your SD firearm in your vehicle or in public/private toilet facilities prior entering facilities were you will hand over your firearm. (If security risk circumstances allows)

I have seen many people handling firearms in unsafe conditions and methods over the years including public, gunsmiths, dealers, security, military and law enforcement personnel etc. (and even one instructors...) Have seen a self-acclaimed "competent" lady at a gunshop, pulling out her pistol loaded and cock, pointing another client while unloading it with her finger in the trigger guard. I moved the other client out of the muzzle direction and ask the lady to please remove her finger out of the trigger guard and point her pistol in a safe direction. Also seen a nice AD in the floor ricochet into the wall and then the ceiling of a gunshop. I understand and respect the reason why many dealers preferred that you hand over your loaded firearm. The dealer is also responsible for the safety of himself, staff and other clients!! Also know a very good and excellent gunsmith personally, which killed his client while attempted to solve a problem on an unfamiliar firearm he had no experienced with.

I'll never hand over a loaded firearm to any person who I not personally know have the knowledge to handle that firearm, after I've advised him the firearm is loaded and on safe, and confirmed that he realised that.

User

I think the idead of haven a safety area to unload safety box makes sense. It protects all. I agree never hand a loaded firearm it is 101 but the gunshop also has security concerns something to chew on...
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

User

Hey guys.
    Thanks all for the comments.Just to be clear. I identified a safe direction and made my intentions of handing the firearm over very clear.Legally if the shop owner or assistant had discharged my weapon I would be held liable as I handed over a loaded firearm.
    Dr Dave I feel if I where to unload my firearm in the car before entering the shop then I have just removed the usefulness of carrying a firearm.
    Spoke to a few range officers, police officers as well as a few very experienced gentlemen and they all said the same thing. Never to hand a loaded firearm over to anyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast