Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Personal First Aid Kit & Personal Survival Kit

Hi Guys

Mods please move to according thread if this is incorrect.

Here goes:

Due to my proffesion I traverse the Amazon jungles of Guyana and Brazil in light aircraft on daily basis; as such I compiled a personal survival kit which consist of 1xMRE, 1L water bottle containing: matches, cotton twill, a space blanket, water purification tabs, 2 AAA batteries, betadine, 10ml bottle of mercurochrome, disposable gloves, little wooden block for starting fire, whistle, compass, elastic bandages, 10ml bottle citronella oil, a few ear buds, eye drops, little tube super glue, a few Charcoal tablets and a few other tablets which needs re-evaluation. These items travel in my bag EDC briefcase

On my person I use a Condor side kick which contain the following:

Leatherman Wave this is a serious no nonsense tool it has seen a few things
    Olight Bundle h2r headlamp
    House keys
    A minute pouch with 2 Headache tabs, 5 Allergex, 5 Anti diaree, 10 Charcoal tabs, 4 water purification tabs.
    A packet of wine gums (small)
    2 Canola Bars.
    Crkt M21

Now here is my question; what would you guys recommend and suggest to add or change,

Space and weight is the big factor, how I started with these 2 survival bags, from situations I had to endure without these items and word around the "camp fire" of those that survived some stuff whether it be stuck in a remote place by themselves for unforseen time or being caught by the rain on the other side of a washed away bridge.

All your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Truly

MP

Georgetown
    Guyana

Default Re: Personal First Aid Kit & Personal Survival Kit

Good day MP
    you covered most of the basic stuff. If possible, in addition to the matches I would add a fire starter ( Matches can get wet or to damp) A piece of paracord and a few cortisone tablets like celestamine (for serious insect bites and stings, infection, etc)
    I hope this could be of some help

User

Hi MP.

Why do you include charcoal tablets in this kit?

User

Maybe you could add some flares to your kit? as well as a small survival guide. And a satellite phone if budget allows for it.

User

Also check out something called: Spot Gen3 its a global satellite GPS messenger and its not very expensive.

User

I know you want to keep it light so I would add a Lifestraw for water and the most powerful pen size laser you can find for night time signalling

Hi Knipmes, thanx for the info, I will find a some cortisone and add it to both kits

Wesley, the activated charcoal, I have used it for Food poisoning, and also upset stomach which is extremely common due to the situation here food drinking water for instance only bottled water for drinking, all the water from the taps has alot of corrosion and rust, so charcoal tablets is the saviour maybe its just a placebo lol

Thudrukis, we have the Spot tracker in the aircraft which is being used for tracking of the aircraft, we used a device Inreach Delorme, connect to your smartfone via Bluetooth, and the instead of making calls via satellite, you can send short texts, that worked purfect, but it got damaged during a hike, only 3% of the country has cellphone reception.

Rick Pascoe, Lifestraw is on order from Amazon,

Thanx guys helped alot

User

Monkey Pilot. I take it that should you wind up in a sticky situation you will stay with the plane or would you try to walk out.

User

Spot G3 works well. I love solo bike trips in areas where there is no cell signal and it has helped a lot in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pascoe View Post
    Monkey Pilot. I take it that should you wind up in a sticky situation you will stay with the plane or would you try to walk out.
    If we go down in the jungle and survive the crash, I will remain with the Aircraft, it can provide shelter and has fuel in it to use for making fire, unless it was due to fuel starvation that you caused you te be in that situation lol,

If it were to ditch in a river I would prior to impact keep the spot tracker on my person in a ziplock and swim to the closest riverbank and setup camp there,

The trees in the forest are high and extremely dense, if an aircraft were to go down in it you wont be able to spot it from the air, in guyana there is about 6 aircraft that went down and have not been found the most recent happend in 2012 or 2014, Britten Norman Islander, which by itself is not a small aircraft but I has not been found yet, they used the spot tracker coordinates but no luck the terrain it too mountainous to go by foot

So in short reamin with the aircraft and make as much smoke and fore as possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast