Default Sports adventure shooting Saturday May 12th L1-L2-L3

As per our calendar we will be doing the L1/L2/L3 Qualifications this Saturday.

Start 07:00 Sharp

Finish 15:00

After the various levels are finished we will do some training

Please email me camo@tacqm.co.za if you wish to attend. All welcome

Please see the packing list for 2018 at www.sportsadventureshooting.co.za
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting Saturday May 12th L1-L2-L3

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    As per our calendar we will be doing the L1/L2/L3 Qualifications this Saturday.

Start 07:00 Sharp

Finish 15:00

After the various levels are finished we will do some training

Please email me camo@tacqm.co.za if you wish to attend. All welcome

Please see the packing list for 2018 at www.sportsadventureshooting.co.za
    This looks real interesting, once I eventually get my competency and licenses I would really like to do this

Quote Originally Posted by armandvdwalt View Post
    This looks real interesting, once I eventually get my competency and licenses I would really like to do this
    Armand, we are keen to meet you. You can even spectate if you don't have the gear yet. Send Camo a mail.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk777 View Post
    Armand, we are keen to meet you. You can even spectate if you don't have the gear yet. Send Camo a mail.
    Would have enjoyed that, but already promised a friend that I would attend a 3 Gun event with him on the same day

User

I also like the look of this.

Camo, is anybody doing this in the Cape?

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    I also like the look of this.

Camo, is anybody doing this in the Cape?
    Sorry for the late reply Stan. Will answer in detail once I am at a keyboard.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

A small turnout today as most of the regulars are away on a hunt/bushweekend.

Two fellows tried out for L1 and passed with flying colours.

Amongst other things we practiced hand gun at 100m and we were surprised by the results!

We were a relatively small group as most of the regulars were away on the annual Sas Bushweekend.

That said we started the day early 07:00 with a prayer and a safety briefing.

Thereafter followed the kit inspections. 777 then set the LawDel and Thudruckus on the L1.

For those who do not know what an L1 is:

You hike 3.2 km in 40 minutes with a rifle, 150 rounds of ammo, 2 litres of water, basic first aid item etc.

Check out the full packing list: http://www.sportsadventureshooting.co.za/

Once the hike is finished you have 4 minutes to obtain 10 hits on a 230mm target aka a paper plate.

Thereafter you have 15 minutes to clean your rifle.

The L1 sets a basic standard so that you can test yourself, your gear and your shooting ability whilst sweating.

Name Rifle Cal Sight L1 Kit Kg Rifle Kg Shots Fired/hits Time Pass/Fail
    ThudRuckus DM9 9mm Scope 15.5
    (Ceramic Plates!)
    4.3 12/50 (24%) 24 Pass
    LawDel Colt M4 LE6904 .223 4x32 Acog 9.35 3.9 12/20 (60%) 34 Pass

ThudRuckus displaying the enthusiasm of youth, had his two ceramic plates on his gear! He used 115gr 9mm (Do not know the brand of ammo).

He rocked with his time setting, 24 minutes and his shooting was good enough to bag the L1 Patch first time around. Speaking of first time around; it was the first time a DM9 has visited our range.

In the past we have had a few Roni’s but never a ‘dedicated’ 9mm platform (iirc)

LawDel, wearing the coolest T-Shirt, clocked in at 34 minutes and had a hit ratio of 60% which at the end of the day is what it is all about: the Shooting!

The rifle cleaning done we then proceeded with the rest of the days training. FWIW my observations over the years is that it can take 5 minutes to clean a manually operated rifle; that is wiping the bolt down and cleaning the barrel. For Modern Sporting Rifles it takes close to 15 minutes to clean up.

Another observation: Many blokes carry a variation on a 'pull through' to clean the barrel. This is ok for cleaning, but, having had to tap out a case that has failed to extract (on more than one rifle and on more than once occasion) I can attest that there is not enough force in the universe, or a finger nail tapered enough to extract a sulking doppie that won’t extract.

A collapsible rod is the right tool for an unexpected job. I had one on my L2 qualification in January and fortunately it did not take to long to get sorted. Threading collapsible cleaning rods under pressure is time consuming though.

We then proceeded with our operator drill: 5 Shots at 300/200/100/50 & 10meters. Shooter has to reload on the move with retention. Average time is about 7-12 minutes to complete the COF. The terrain that we move across is littered with “Bankrot bossie” (low scrub bushes) and holes. So moving cautiously but quickly is in order.

Thereafter we did some basic carbine/rifle practice. (Accuracy and re-loading)

One of the attendees had recently got his AR and whilst his skills were great with a bolt action, he really was out of sorts with a rifle that did not have to be re-loaded after each shot and could fire 30 shots!

We packed away our rifles, (however we kept our L1 gear on) and practiced accuracy with our handguns. 10/25/50/100m. All of us achieved hits at 100m. Some with iron sights others with RDS.

Being able to hit a target at 100m really is a confidence booster!!

Thereafter we practiced some Combatives, specifically practicing using the two handed grip on a pistol and using elbows to strike and regain control of the pistol. See this link for context and feedback. CQC Weapons Control Tactic

At about 12:30 we finished the day packed up the range

Thanks to those who attended and to 777 for assisting with the admin.

Please check the Sas calendar (on the stickied threads above) for the next session.

User

This was a fantastic experience. Thanks again Camo and 777.