Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SAGA or GOSA or both?

I know, I’m being a dwarstrekker at the moment. It is your money and you can of course donate it to whomever you like, and there are certainly worse organisations to support than SAGA. I guess I’m still smarting about the whole thing, where I joined the gun community and SAGA bright-eyed and ready to fight for our rights, only to be let down rather severely.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I know, I’m being a dwarstrekker at the moment. It is your money and you can of course donate it to whomever you like, and there are certainly worse organisations to support than SAGA. I guess I’m still smarting about the whole thing, where I joined the gun community and SAGA bright-eyed and ready to fight for our rights, only to be let down rather severely.
    I'm a founder member of SAGA, my membership going back more than 30 years. In 30 years of operation, the organisation has built up a track record and valuable connections. Yes, the organisation has been quiet of late, but then its approach has always been "quieter" than that of the later established GOSA. I would agree, however, that it needs to be more visible in its approach.

In the perpetual battle to keep our guns, I believe we need both. I know some of the leaders in both and I believe they are wise and mature enough to cooperate where needed. At R150,00 annual ordinary membership for SAGA and R100,00 for GOSA, the costs are peanuts considering the stakes and what we typically pay for a single day at the range. I am a Silver member of GOSA at R500,00 per annum, but even that is less than what an IPSC league shoot or a SAPSF pin club shoot costs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The last relevant thing SAGA did that I remember was when John Welch appeared on TV during the OP trial for a panel interview, and made mention that sport guns cannot be used for SD. I had a bit of a wobble about it, WZ stated that he thought Welch was being strategic and playing the long game. My respect for WZ’s opinions being what it is, I left it.
    Sadly, I am often wrong - as my wife frequently reminds me.

I think John's view is a genuinely held one based on his legal interpretation of the FCA as a whole. John is a good and very experienced lawyer. I respect his views although I differ with him on this issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Fair point, it may be his learned opinion. It was not, however, the critical issue in his interview and it was entirely unnecessary to make it public. I cancelled my membership with SAGA the very next day.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

GOSA is the only option. BY FAR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2