Default .22 lr subsonics with Beretta 71

Hello , I have a beretta 71 (bought new more than 30 years ago ) still in original condition albeit with many thousands of rounds through it . I would like to fit a weaker recoil spring to allow it to cycle with subsonic ammo. Does anyone have spring spec's for me to try out ?
    This pistol also has a bit of axial movement (play +/- 0.3 mm) on the barrel when the slide is locked back. Other 'fits' feel tight and there are only some wear markings where the slide stop pin contacts the barrel lug . Do I need to build up the barrel lug contact area to remove the play or is this not an issue ? The gun is fine with virtually any ammo that I use but if this play can be removed , I would like to have it done. Any advice on these issues would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: .22 lr subsonics with Beretta 71

The little play with the slide locked back is irrelevant. It will not affect accuracy.

It may or may not work to install a weaker spring, as this may negatively affect feeding from the mag.

If the pistol feeds SV ammo, as it should, just chrono that. I suspect the MV will be well below sonic.

Thanks A-R. I know that I am fussy with my firearms but I am concerned that the existing play may accelerate the wear on the pin to barrel lug or the pin to frame areas as the slide comes into battery, with the barrel movement such as it is . The accuracy far exceeds my capabilities so that is not a problem for me.

User

The play would only matter if it happened with slide in battery, as that is how it fires. Most pistols have some free play with the slide back. It is normal and not an issue in any way.

The Beretta 71 can take an enourmous amount of shooting before showing serious wear. I know of a specimen that had exceeded 300 000 rounds and still ran like clockwork. Only springs were replaced. It belonged to an instructor who trained mostly new shooters with it. It impressed me so much that I later bought one. Still regret selling it, but at least I know it is in good hands.