Thread: .303 Trigger

Default .303 Trigger

Good morning Guys.

I want to get n new trigger for a Lee Enfield 303. The current one has a lot of take up and then breaks. It is the original trigger. My Howa in comparison has a clean break. I stay in Centurion. Which company would you advise to do the trigger? Preferably Centurion Pretoria area.

User

Default Re: .303 Trigger

Most shops should have a drop-in Timney trigger for your rifle. Improves your problem. That being said, I quite like mine being this way. It's heavy, but when you move through the take-up the break is solid and crisp.

User

Get hold of a trigger from Thor Engineering. Locally manufactured (Pretoria area) and just as good as the Timney. If you can't get it from your local gunshop, get it from Thor directly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Get hold of a trigger from Thor Engineering. Locally manufactured (Pretoria area) and just as good as the Timney. If you can't get it from your local gunshop, get it from Thor directly.
    This is the other brand I couldn't get my finger on, yes. Most .303's I know of are fitted with the Thors. Around R1k for the drop in, last time I checked.

+1 For a Thor. Erhard's business is on the smallholdings in the Wolwehoek direction. A lot of gunsmiths stocks his triggers. Try Arms in Waterkloof.

Thank you very much.

The Oom’s at Weapring in Centurion specialize in .303’s. They will be able to assist with all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have never seen a Timney trigger for a SMLE.

The Thor trigger comes in 2 versions, one for the no1 mk111 and one for the no4 mk1 and 11. Both require gunsmithing, they are definitely not drop-in. Get someone who has done this before to install it, as there are a few tricks to getting it right. The half-cock notch will no longer be functional after the conversion. Definitely a huge improvement on the original trigger.

It is also possible to modify the original trigger by removing most of the take-up and overtravel. Ask your gunsmith for his opinion.