Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Question Decisions decisions.....

Hi everyone

I trust you're all having a great thursday, and that you're looking forward to the weekend!

I come to you cap in hand to learn from your vast knowledge and experience....

....ok, enough with the sucking up ;)

Always looking for new toys, i've had a question burning inside for the past few months, that i thought i knew the answer to, but i'd feel a lot better knowing everyone's opinions. I currently own a 270 and 308 (and a G19 ;) but that's topic) and am looking to fill my standard quota of 4 firearms (I currently don't have dedicated status...yet!) and now to the topic at hand- what to fill the 4th spot with?

Let me start by saying a hunt duiker through to kudu and wildebeest, and would look to one day hunt eland, hippo, and croc (i'm still young- only 23) ...and perhaps one day even a buffalo? ive got a lot of years hunting ahead of me, and although I'd be classed as an occasional "biltong hunter" at the moment (hunting springbok, impala, blesbok, warthog, and kudu), I'm a big believer in 'jack of all trades, master of none' and believe in using the correct "tools" when it comes to hunting.
    I also used to participate in wingshooting, but haven't for a number of years....

So what to add to my rifle battery?

I'm currently chopping and changing between 3 ideas- a 6x45, a 9.3x62, and a 12br dbl? (o/u or sxs). I like the idea of a small rifle in 6x45, but also like the idea of the 9.3? (will look to load myself in both cases, as well as use factory rounds) for the larger stuff?
    And then there's the 12br........*sigh*......to use in wingshooting and the odd hog hunt?

I will eventually look to getting my dedicated status, but lets rule this out of the equation for the immediate time?

Your views and opinions are all greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again

Marshy

User

Wow, way too many options.

On the Caliber side, you definitely need a heavier rifle than the 308 and 270 if you want to one day shoot eland or hippo. A 375 is the way to go if you want to go up. If i was you, and you where going to go into the thick stuff with your 308 to shoot the duiker, then I would try develop 180/200 grain loads at about 2400 FPS. this will be beautiful medicine for Duiker, Bushbuck, impala, hogs and even Kudu.

A 6 x 45 is a nice caliber but you are restricting yourself because of whatever a 6 x 45 can do, both the 270 and the 308 can do. I understand the lighter recoil and things but your question is based on the reality that we have firearm restrictions.

I own a 9.3 x 62 and it is my absolute favourite. however, if I had to own 1 firearm to shoot biltong in SA, it would be a 270 ( or a 3006 or a 7x 64 or even a 300). however, if I was to be fortunate enough to get into the Eland and possibly Buffalo, I would choose a 375. I love my 9.3 x 62 and it can do most things a 375 can, but in a pinch you may need a bit more energy. its like the 9mm vs 40 debate. Most people will never know the difference but 1 out of every 20 times it may be a factor.

SO you have an awesome Bushveld rifle, An awesome plainsgame rifle and the rest is up to you. do you want to go ultralight ( no real hnting category in SA for that) or nice and heavy.

The shotgun is a completely different set of questions. that decision only you can make. Wing shooting happens more regulalry per year, and requires you belong to and are trusted by a club. ( unless you have access to farmland). you will shoot more times a year but its more intense from being a club memeber point of view. And then you are going to want the dogs, the tweed jacket, then you will start smoking a pipe, and then buy a trout rod. so all in all be warned.

Why not look at something a little bigger, like .375 h&H. This is ideal for larger antelope and will do the job for buff. There are lots of different loads for it, ranging from 200gr to 350gr. It is a flat shooter for a large medium bore with lighter bullets yet it still has the power to drive a 286gr or 300 grainer straight through an elephants head or break heavy bone and still reach the vitals on a buff.

The other thought is shotty, great for wing shooting, awsome for ho,me defence and when loaded with slugs is great for closeup thick bush hunting (bushpig, bushbuck etc)

User

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I see what you're saying about the 6x45, SA. My god father gad offered me his winchester 223, and i'd look at getting it rebarreled. Beautiful gun, and it has sentimental value, so that's why i was looking at the route.
    As for downloading 180/200gr loads- Highland Ammo offers 180gr SP at 2362ft/sec (2237ft/lbs) as well as 190gr HPBT at 2428ft/sec (2484ft/lbs), so that's a definite option that i was looking at? (Has anyone had any experience with highland ammo?)

As for the 375H7H- i've been through to Alan Henry at Natal Guns, and i've seen what he is able to do to a standard CZ550 375H&H (Shorten the barrel, add a barrel band, polish and smoothe the action etc) and i was blown away! really does transform the rifle! but im going to be frank and honest- im not the biggest fan of recoil, and i definitely believe that percieved recoil can have an effect on accuracy. (how does the recoil of the 9.3 compare to that of the 375?)

Buffalo and hippo are a dream of 'maybe' and 'someday' , and i don't know what it is, but im simply drawn to the 9.3? (and the rifle im looking at is a BEAUT!!)

oh the choices.....

User

My 5 sents
    Plan A
    Replace the 308 with a 375 and get a shotty. If you like the old stuff, a nice SS hamer gun or modern OU

PlanB
    Get a shotty and a double barrel muzzleloader (58cal or bigger) for the short range stuff

User

Like a said, a 9.3 will do what a 375 can do 9.5 out of 10 times. A 375 is a bit flatter shooting and has the abilty to shoot 350 grainers. Although it does its best work with a 300 grain.

A 9.3 can shoot 300 grainers but they will penetrate through both shoulders of a buff no problem.

A 9.3 has less felt recoil than a 300 win mag.

Its stiff without your arm going lame. but a bench session will remind you that its not a 308.

User

get a 12 bore for now and please man leave the duikers alone

Take the Shottie.You will use it more often and you are fixed up wrt to plains game hunting with the rifles you have.

User

I don't know much about wingshooting, so I cannot comment of a shotgun.

In terms of a rifle, I would suggest something heavier and your choice of a 9.3 is a good one. I have a CZ550 .375 H&H and I lover the rifle & shoot it well. Because the CZ is a heavy rifle, the recoil is not too hectic. I would say that if you are comfortable with a light .30-06 rifle, then a CZ .375 is not going to be a problem.

I have come to the realisation though that the 9.3 may have been a better choice. It does anything that the .375 H&H can do, uses less powder and is designed to function in an unmodified standard length action. The .375 H&H may have a slight edge over the 9.3 at ranges beyond 200m, but if you think that longer shots will be the norm, then the .338 Win Mag is a better choice than either of these two.

User

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

Bushboy, Klein Chris, 300H&H, JHH- I definitely see the 12br as an option, aswell as the 9.3... i guess it's just going to be whichever one comes along at the best price first? the other will have to wait for eventuall dedicated status? (Maybe Join SA Wingshooters?)

Umshiniwam, i'd be looking at distances of 200m or less, anything further will be left upto my 270 (eg springbok). I havent had the oppurtunity to fire either the 9.3 or the 375H&H, so that's where the difficulty of my comparison lies? If i did go the 375H&H route, id be looking at the CZ550, and would spend some money with Alan Henry customoising it a little. But if i decide to go the 9.3 route, does anyone have any suggestions as to a make or model to look at? They're a bit like hens teeth to find second hand? (well, in Durban they are anyway)

Also, i know this isn't under the right forum (Should be under wingshooting) but does anyone have any suggestions as to good quality shotties? not looking to spend the earth maybe upto 10 or 12k? was i mistaken to see entry level berettas to be around that mark?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast