Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornady ELD-X.

Default Re: Hornady ELD-X.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Im thinking any bullet almost traveling at those speed with that weight hitting shoulder blade at 40M distance is going to have plenty energy to cause similar damage.
    Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I just used these rounds to hunt now under lockdown. My Sako in 30-06 loves them and shoots 5 shots sub MOA

I used the 178gr.

I shot 2 wildebeest both dropped in their tracks.. did not move. Then 2 zebra for the family for skins. Longest shot at 243 m with a range finder he dropped like a ton of bricks. Did not even move. Also shot a female at 140m. She jumped a bit circled and fell over... done.

Last big game was a female Eland. Just behind the shoulder in the fold. ( my PH thought me a few years ago to shoot there and miss the dence meat with a 30-06. She jumped ran for about 50 m and again done.

I have had 5 good kills this winter and no issues with this factory ammo.

Then again each shot was exactly where I placed them. As I said my Sako lives these rounds and I can shoot 5 in a square inch consistently.

I did not recover and rounds as I left the slaughtering to the guys on the farm but meat damage was as per usual. Nothing more or less.

User

I used the 143eldx in my 6.5 creedmoor, speed trued at 500m was 2705, not impressed, had fair amount of not so much meat damage, bit exit wounds all had a big blood circle (afrikaans, bloed swam)..

I have now reduced my speed tp 2600 at the muzzle, must still true it at 500..

Will test it soon on my next hunt..

But yes will not buy eldx again for hunting.. Probably go the nosler accubond route.

User

I processed a blue wildebeest for a friend who was using ELDX in 30-06. One in the neck, two from the boiler room and one from the spine. I gave him a discount in lieu of the copper and lead I mined from the carcass

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Defender90 View Post
    Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No ways, many bullets would have done a lot of damage impact (speed) side, but a Mono or premium - bonded bullet would not have done what we see in those pics. That bullet went shotgun on impact., T Stones pics show cause clearly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    I used the 143eldx in my 6.5 creedmoor, speed trued at 500m was 2705, not impressed, had fair amount of not so much meat damage, bit exit wounds all had a big blood circle (afrikaans, bloed swam)..

I have now reduced my speed tp 2600 at the muzzle, must still true it at 500..

Will test it soon on my next hunt..

But yes will not buy eldx again for hunting.. Probably go the nosler accubond route.
    And you will be so much happier.
    The EDLX is a fantastically shaped low this, high that, cup and core bullet that likely has a very soft core to aid setting out in the barrel.
    It is a ballistic wonder internally and externally but no thought was put into terminal ballistics.

User

Mantle separation seems to be an issue with the eld-x. We had just that on a Lechwe this weekend hunted by a relative. On my side we shot 3 bwb and two springbuck with Accubonds in the boiler room with the 308; meat damage was minimal and stopped all in their tracks, which surprised me in the case of the bwb. I stuck to head shots with the eld’s after what we saw on the Lechwe

User

Anybody want a box of 143gr 6.5 ELD-X?
    Will swap for Sierra 140gr SBT or 140gr SST.

Dont even think I am going to explore this route further.

User

Glad I came across this thread. Ended up getting 308 Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELD X, too late now.

What would anyone suggest as an alternative. My normal rounds I shoot for target practice is 175 SMK loaded with Varget from my 308

Sent from my HYPE_X using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by momo_ View Post
    Glad I came across this thread. Ended up getting 308 Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELD X, too late now.

What would anyone suggest as an alternative. My normal rounds I shoot for target practice is 175 SMK loaded with Varget from my 308

Sent from my HYPE_X using Tapatalk
    I use a 150gr Hornady GMX in my Howa 308 20" bullbarrel at 2594fps...shot two impala, no meat damage, or very little.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast