Default First Hunt With My Labrador Retriever

Recently I took my Labrador Retriever on his first hunt late one afternoon. We managed to bag two
    Rock Pigeons and a Guinea Fowl shooting over decoys. My dog performed extremely well. He showed a lot of enthusiasm and retrieved like a rocket. He battled a bit with the flapping Guinea but eventually stuffed it in his mouth.

It was great to go hunting with him after all the training with dummies and shackled birds. The instinct to
    retrieve never ceases to amaze me. He is now 18 months old and I look forward to many years of hunting
    with him at my side, especially because he enjoys the outing as much as I do.

Banned

Default Re: First Hunt With My Labrador Retriever

Great!

That is great. My lab retrieves pigeons and ducks with ease but struggles with geese. Enjoy the hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    That is great. My lab retrieves pigeons and ducks with ease but struggles with geese. Enjoy the hunting
    A big goose is not to be trifled with as I have seen on hunts before. I have yet to see how my
    dog will manage.
    The only problem I have now is my dogs over - enthusiasm. When he hears a shot from our group
    he wants to bolt in the direction of the shot to go and retrieve. And anything flying overhead catches
    his attention. He looks at me as if to say "why arent you shooting". I will have to keep training him
    until he settles down.
    You have a very nice looking dog.

User

Nice looking dog, you'll have years of joy.

Wingshooting over ones own gundog adds a dimension that is very hard to explain to someone who doesn't have a gundog.

Don't worry too much about the geese, he's a big strapping boy and he'll figure it out. I had a GSP bitch that weighed in at only 22kgs and she retrieved many spurwing. In the beginning if you are shooting on land and a goose gets winged, make sure it is safe to do so and just shoot it, I have never seen a dog get in trouble in water with geese, but has on occasion seen it happen if the dog was apprehensive on the retrieve on land.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Nice looking dog, you'll have years of joy.

Wingshooting over ones own gundog adds a dimension that is very hard to explain to someone who doesn't have a gundog.

Don't worry too much about the geese, he's a big strapping boy and he'll figure it out. I had a GSP bitch that weighed in at only 22kgs and she retrieved many spurwing. In the beginning if you are shooting on land and a goose gets winged, make sure it is safe to do so and just shoot it, I have never seen a dog get in trouble in water with geese, but has on occasion seen it happen if the dog was apprehensive on the retrieve on land.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    Hi Johan.

Please excuse the late reply- been away.

You are right about gundogs - there are so many rewarding moments that you just cannot explain.
    I have a 10 month old Springer Spaniel as well. Both dogs are my buddies although I have yet to hunt
    with my Springer.
    I will be very careful with the geese. Thank you for the advice. I hope to go out soon.