Default Impala RNFP bullet - Performance on buffalo.

Does anyone here have any experience of these bullets on cape buffalo? I'm specifically interested in the 270gr .375 and the 350gr .416 bullets.

http://impalabullets.co.za/impala-bullet-design/

User

Default Re: Impala RNFP bullet - Performance on buffalo.

I have bought some 270gr that I loaded up just to have with me when I am walking with my 375 in Buff territory.
    But I have gone with Dzombos in my 458 when we are after Buff.
    I am also very interested to hear if they have been used successfully on a Buffalo as the pricing is very reasonable
    A roaring Lion kills no game

I am of the opinion that as a solid for backup on buffalo they would fare better than most due to their cutting shoulder.

This basically punches a hole out of the skin, so it should keep on bleeding and not pull closed.

User

T....i would think very carefully about this one.

My usage of Impala bullets has been limited,in the smaller calibers in 7mm and 30 cal. They do not kill as fast as a conventional bullet,but that is not your question,even though it is of some relevance.

I have however used the 300gr Impala bullets in my .458 2 inch on a few Eland and other creatures [totaling 57] with better results. Penetration is excellent,straight line penetration,even with that sharp point is good. The initial stages of penetration show a good wound channel of caliber size which depletes to that of a conventional 'solid' as the shoulders 'cutting edge' erodes away.
    The couple of bullets i have recovered from Eland,both from lenghwise shots,have rounded shoulders and slightly bent tips but were otherwise un de-formed.

I believe that under most conditions,i would use bullets that have proven themselves.

A premium expanding bullet of heavy weight has proven itself to be effective on Buffalo as the first shot. An Impala bullet is just not in the same league as these bullets and would be as effective as a solid with the need to be very carefull of over penetration.

Anyway,please bear in mind that i am by no means an experienced Buffalo hunter and also that thousands were culled in Rhodesia with 220gr solids from 3006's .

Pre, I appreciate your input. My own experience on buffalo is limited to 2 animals and in both cases I used expanding bullets. I do not really intend to use the Impala bullets for hunting buffalo, they will be used as a defensive load in case of a buffalo charge and possibly for back up shots on wounded animals. I thought that the penetration offered by a non expanding monolithic would be beneficial, however, maybe expanding monolithic bullets will give sufficient penetration?

User

I dunno, the first shot during buff hunting is usually placed for tissue destruction in the heart and lung vitals, it's not designed for max straight line penetration. When the buff charges, that shot opportunity have come and gone, and now you need maximum penetration to disable the CNS.
    Flat nose bullets are used for this application as it's proven to provide the best straight line penetration.

Rhino also makes a solid with a flat nose.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

TStone, if you are looking for a solid why not try Dzombos? I do believe they have been tried and tested. Peter Wells on the forum markets them.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

T....The first shot on a Buff is the one that counts,this is where an expanding premium bullet is the answer.

If that first shot is not effective then a follow up shot will be from the rear or,even worse,from the front. In both these cases you need [really,really need] a proven bullet in solid format because penetration is now vital.

As Messor says...a semi flat nose solid [metplat..metplate?] have proved themselves and have a reputation for straight line penetration. yes,Dzombos ,among others are excellent and so are the PMP solids in 375 and 458....just avoid the 300gr PMP soft points.