Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Time to Push Your Association

Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    Jonathan Deal has more experience to fight a cause than all of us put together.
    Really?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    In 2009 there was an attempt to form a United Firearms Forum (UFF). With the exception of the SA High Power Rifle Association, there were no representatives from the shooting sports! Collectors, hunters, dealers, SAGA, Afriforum and TAU SA thought it worthwhile. The major sports shooting associations, dead from the neck up presumably. Yet we can be sure that any amendments to the FCA will seriously affect their members.

All sports shooters need to demand that their associations look further than the next competition and argument about the rules.

Peter
    Secretary SA High Power Rifle Association
    Peter, I'm pleased to update you on that score. In 2014 the UFF mandated me (representing GOSA) to form the Sport-shooting Forum. This was done specifically to pave the way for us to tackle the proposed Amendment Act. We frantically hacked together the skeleton of an organisation so that, as Parliamentary Firearms Summit was announced in January 2015, the Sport-shooting forum was able, alongside the Hunters Forum, and all the usual suspects, to fill the parliamentary chamber with 28 representatives from across the entire firearms community. I'm surprised you missed all of this.
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by baugust View Post
    Theunsb has a great point....If Jonathan Deal is the right person we shout seriously consider standing behind the man not a organisation with other interests and mandates..Lets run a poll for a support base for Jonathan Deal..only the collective can empower a person to act in the interest of all gun owners. Associations are splinters of different gun owners interests..sport shooting, hunting etc....This is a political problem that needs a political solution...."JUST MY TAKE"
    Whoa!

Jonathan is a Trustee and representative of SAGA.

We all... the entire Firearms Community, including SAGA, and Jonathan, are seized with this as a matter of high priority at present.
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by baugust View Post
    Theunsb has a great point....If Jonathan Deal is the right person we shout seriously consider standing behind the man not a organisation with other interests and mandates..Lets run a poll for a support base for Jonathan Deal..only the collective can empower a person to act in the interest of all gun owners. Associations are splinters of different gun owners interests..sport shooting, hunting etc....This is a political problem that needs a political solution...."JUST MY TAKE"
    No one individial can make this happen, trust me. It's going to require huge collective effort.... like it or not.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Peter, I'm pleased to update you on that score. I'm surprised you missed all of this.
    I didn't miss it Paul, but was talking about what happened 9 years ago. I agree that you all did a sterling job in 2015. However, what is needed is not just a Sports shooting forum and a Hunters' forum and the "usual suspects". What we need is a permanent cooperative association of ALL bodies concerned to maintain firearm ownership and use in SA for any and all legal purposes.

Peter

User

It is now the time for all our associations to come together and present a united front and push as best we can to get the many issues sorted, including the legislation and the role CFR plays in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spez247 View Post
    Current associations have very little interest in doing this, IMO. We need something along the Carbon Tax for vehicles, but controlled for our benefit.

Buy a new gun - gunshop charges the R500.00 (eg) and you become a member of XYZ (NRA) organization; that monitors your app & addresses refusals & delays on your part.
    That way, the info is centralised.

Just a thought...
    The idea has been proposed before and was shot down. Other than it pissing some people off, it doesn't necessarily fall in line with Section 18 of the Bill of Rights, or Section 13 of the Consumer Protection Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf777 View Post
    Is this not why GOSA was created?
    No.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2